DirecTV+HDTV & DirecTV +TIVO - Need some help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Before I get started I want you to know that I am fully aware there is no DirecTV/HDTV/Tivo combo available!

What I am looking for is:

TV #1 - DirecTV + HD decoder

TV #2 - DirecTV + Tivo

TV #1 will be a Pioneer HDTV (53" or 64"), TV #2 is a direct view model TBD.

Any recommendations on the DirecTV equipment? Are there any packages similiar to this available?

2. Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

I can help you on the first; I have the Mitsubishi HDTV /Direct TV receiver hooked up to my Pioneer 710. HDTV on the pioneer is outstanding. I have just plain old Sony sat boxes for my other TVs.

What we do for recording is use the infer-red mouse that comes with the Mitsubishi to record shows. Very easy probably not as great of a picture as a tivo but it works for us. Plus we can watch it on our main TV.

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Also anyone who would care to share how they intigrate as seamlesly as possible on one TV:

1)HD tuner

2)DirectTivo tuner

3)OTA locals and HD

4)Program guide(local info)

A situation I will soon be facing.

Insisting on keeping the DirectTvio on the HD setup complicates it but it's a convenience I'm not willing to give up. I know I wont be able to tivo the HD stuff but the lifetime sub. is paid and I wouldn't like the drop in quality with the stand allone Tivo. I will further complicate matters in the future by adding a digital VCR or DVD recorder (when prices fall) for HD timeshifting.

5. Brett_V

Brett_V Extra

Hi,

Well, I have integrated the DirecTV, Tivo (stand alone), and the RCA DTC-100 HDTV sat receiver, all into my pioneer elite pro-610 HDTV RPTV.

Its no problem at all. When viewing in high-def, the Tivo is totally bypassed since the DTC-100 outputs only to the VGA when in HD mode.

I cant figure out why anyone would want to integrate their Tivo into the sat receiver. If you ever want to upgrade either the Tivo or the sat receiver you'll have to upgrade both at the same time. Plus, if in the future you decide to go without satellite, and go back to dig cable, well now you have to buy another Tivo machine. Not to mention of course, if you decide you want to use the Tivo in a different room of the house at some point.

Assuming you paid the $200 lifetime subscription fee, I seriously doubt you'll be ditching the Tivo machine anytime soon. In fact, I cant see any reason to upgrade the machine unless they come out with a Tivo that can record an HD signal. With all the hullabaloo over copyright infringements regarding recordable DVD's, this doesn't seem likely in the near future.

I think I'm getting off track? What is it exactly, that you wish to know about hooking these components up together?

6. Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

Luke

The infer-red mouse is a wire that hangs over the VCR it automatically starts recording on the VCR and then shuts it off. For instance every day at 3-4:00pm my satellite turns to a local ABC station and records my wife’s soap opera. It is so easy to record things on The Mitsubishi HDTV/Direct TV satellite receiver. All you have to do is go through the menu on the satellite and hit the select button and its ready to record. You just have to make sure the VCR is left on with a tape and is not in HDTV mode. In HDTV mode it only broadcasts through the component video. In standard non- HDTV mode it will send a signal through the S-video and the composite video and an antenna out so recording is easy.

You could easily hook up a Tivo machine to your pioneer TV along with an HDTV sat box. You have plenty of inputs and if you run it through a receiver you can even get more. The question is how much do you really record.

7. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Brett - Originally I was interested in a DirecTV/TIVO/HDTV combo, but since that doesn't exist I was wondering what other options are available. I like what you described and think I will go with something similiar.

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

9. Brett_V

Brett_V Extra

"1. Better picture quality when recording. There's no back and forth conversion from analog to digital back to analog. It's an exact copy of DirecTV's signal. "

Well in my case, I can't tell the difference between satellite, and Tivo when Tivo is recorded in best mode.

"3. Up to 35 hours of recording time at the "best" (only)quality. You only get that much from the stand alone Tivos when you lower the recording quality.

4. User upgradeable to 200+ hours of recording. This will void your warranty unfortunately"

The stand alones are also upgradeable, and yes it will void the warranty.

"It's usually easy to run a coax from one room of the house back to the Tivo or use channel modulators like I have so every TV in the house can watch the Tivo."

No offense, but I think we all know how difficult it can be to get coax from the basement to the upper floors in certain situations. Channel modulators can get expensive, and for someone who puts a lot of stock in the better quality recordings, well you can kiss that advantage goodbye once you start sending the signals elsewhere via radio waves.

But even more importantly, we are talking about combining the use of Tivo with an HDTV sat-receiver! I havent even seen this kind of animal anywhere. Thus, you'd be forced to use the stand alone Tivo.

"I only know one person who has switched back to cable from a satellite provider. "

There's plenty more than that, I can assure you. But what concerns me is that cable companies are going to be providing very competitive alternatives in our near future, and depending on where you live, its already here. No need to commit to even more satellite hardware than we have to, is the way I see it.

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Brett,

All valid points.

-Robert

11. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Scott, OK I got ya. My DSR6000 DirectTivo came with 2 of those but absolutely nowhere do the instructions even acknowledge they exist. So, I never tried hooking them up.

Robert_J You sum up the exact reasons I like the DirectTvio.

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Robert missed a big advantage of DirecTV/TiVo integrated receivers: they can record two shows at once, or record one channel while watching another live, or provide pause/replay on two live channels simultaneously. The only other way to accomplish that would require two DirecTV receivers and two standalone TiVos, and you'll have to pay more to both DirecTV and TiVo for two of each.

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert