DirecTV HD Wiring

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Steve_Com, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Steve_Com

Steve_Com Extra

Ok, so I am about to make the move to HD and I know I have to have the 3 LNB oval dish to do so. I purchased one that has the built in multi-switch. My question is, it has 4 connections, this is going to 4 different receivers, correct? What if I wanted the same channels to display on 2 TV's (using the same receiver) and 3 other receivers for the other rooms? So, 3 receivers, 4 TV's with 2 of them receiving the same channels.

And what is the difference with the multiswitches that have the power supply?

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Yes the outputs from the multi-switch on the dish can run 4 seperate tuners. You will need 3 in your scenerio and a method to connect 2 TV's to one STB. In my system I went ahead ran 4 wires to the dish (2 downstairs, 2 up) and I currently use only one with that STB running component (for HD) to the HD set and RF to the downstairs set. When I get an HD Tivo STB I will need both of the upstairs connections for that box and I will move the older HD STB downstairs and buy a HD set for that room at that time...my RF cable that connects up to downstairs will then be used to send OTA antenna signal to the downstairs STB. So basically I have 4 F-connectors upstairs (2 sat, 1 OTA from attic, and up.down connector) and 3 down (2 sat, 1 up/down).

3. Steve_Com

Steve_Com Extra

Thanks!