Directv HD Upgrade offer?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris*C, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Chris*C

Chris*C Auditioning

I'm looking to go with this HD upgrade package with D*, it comes with the Samsung TS160 HD receiver for $399! Will I be happy with the Samsung or should I get another receiver?

Thanks!

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

A few years ago Samsung didn't have a very good reputation(not that it was bad, just lower tier than the major Japaese manufacturers), but since they've really concentrated their efforts on digital products, I'd say they've made a nice turnaround. Their DLPs are great and so are their HD boxes(both satellite & OTA), so don't let the name fool ya.[​IMG]

A big plus is that the composite and S-Video outputs are always active which isn't the case for alot HD boxes. I've found that the OTA HD tuners are not as sensitive as some more expensive models, but it should only be a problem for those in fringe areas.

The price is certainly right.

Good luck,

DJ

3. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

That's a great deal. I have 2 Samsung SIR-TS160 receivers at my house and I paid a lot more than that. A few months ago either Sound & Vision or HT Magazine did an article about the 3 top DirecTv HDTV converters that had the Samsung and one from Sony and Zenith.

4. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

I got the deal this week. I got the new Hughes model. From what I understand, it is a rebadged Sony 300.

You get the new hughes or the toshiba. You don't get to choose.

I am happy with this Hughes.

5. Chris Cash

Chris Cash Stunt Coordinator

I just signed up with Dish Network earlier today. If you sign up with them you can rent the equipment from them for one year for $4.99 a month. After one year the equipment becomes yours. Dish network also warranties the equipment during that one year. All you have to keep is the basic 50 channels . The HD package is $9.99. She said the whole thing with HD and renting the box would be $39.99 a month. Also, if you sign up now, you can get three months of the top 100 channels free. And your not locked into it. If after the three months you don't want to pay $69.99 a month you can simply call up and down grade your plan at any time. You have to pay $49 up front that will be credited towards your account. Of course yiu have to pay for two months when you first bill comes in. She said the first bill would be $19 and the second $14. She said I would only be paying for the HD and rental fees for the first three months.

~C.C.~

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Chris,

I got similar information about the new Dish Network deal, but my CSR said nothing about the equipment becoming mine at the end of one year. I got his extension and will call him back.

He also stated that the warranty under the Dish Home Plan was a lifetime warranty, not just a year.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger.

Peace,

DM

7. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Is it possible they're running a deal to get rid of inventory? I've read so many posts about the HD TIVO DirecTV box that's supposed to come out early next year. If it's still on track, it might be better to wait a few months. Does anyone have an update on it?
    Doug

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

9. Chris Cash

Chris Cash Stunt Coordinator

The price quoted to me included the dish.

~C.C.~