DirecTv HD-Tivo $299 plus $100 mail in rebate

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by StephenP, Aug 18, 2005.

1. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

This deal is for existing customers with a good account history, and requires a new 2 yr commitment. Call the customer retention number, not the regular number and ask about the "shopper's deal." Mine is getting installed in the morning, hope it goes well.

Also, why do my post #'s keep getting reset?

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Stephen is right, sorta. For some reason certain CSR's can get you the deal and others can't. Also the deal only applies to certain customers, tho it seems most people with total choice plus the nfl can get it. I think it depends on how much you spend and how good you are about paying your bill. There is a start price of $299, you can apply a $100 rebate and then there are programming credits and install credits that you may or may not be able to get. I called retention 5 times and got 5 different offers before I finally agreed. Don't threaten to cancel. If you get an offer you don't like -- "$599 is the best I can do. What you are reading on the internet is wrong." -- just politely decline, wait a day or a few hours and call back. All it takes is asking "I am interested in the HD DVR. What is the best price you can do? Are there any rebates with that? Am I eligible for any programming credits?"

My deal was $299, less $100 MIR (I used this already for an SD DVR last week, but because it is different equipment, you can use it twice), free install, $5 off each of HD pack and HBO for 6 months, plus tax and shipping ($30), so net, the HD DVR cost me $170. They will also throw in any multiswitches or dish upgrades that you need. Not bad for a piece of equipment that was $1000 4 months ago and $600 last week. Others are reporting even better deals -- like another $150 in equipment credits or $200 in programming credits -- but they are harder to come by.

PS - Stephen, your post count doesn't get reset. This site doesn't track post counts (a good thing). The number you see is tracking the number of posts in the thread.

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    what is the retention costomer number?
    I am interested in this deal.
    JACOB

4. Charlie Campisi

1-800-600-8977

5. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

I did this deal yesterday. I got it for $299 w/ $100 MIR. I didn't really get any programming discounts because I had already been given free HD programming and free Showtime for the next 6 months last week. I did get a free install (I already have the right dish & OFA but they did such a lousy job installing it when I got my HD receiver I wanted them to set it up correctly and re-point them). This deal is a no brainer because I can sell my HD Receiver & SD Tivo Receiver for about the same amount as the cost of the upgrade. And I won't have the extra $5 a month fee for the extra box.

My only concern is how long DirectTV will support the Tivo boxes and if they will do a free swap for their new DVRs when they start using the new Satellites with MPEG4 streams.

6. Charlie Campisi

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Re supporting tivo, they are no longer advertising tivo since they are coming out with their own dvr, however, you can feel safe that they will support tivo - i.e., provide program guide data and maybe even software upgrades. They still support Ultimate TV dvrs and they haven't sold them in years. In fact, I read that they even did a software upgrade for them recently. More and more CSR's are also saying that the HD DVRs will be swapped out for free for MPEG4 capable boxes. While that's not set in stone, it is consistent with previous hardware swaps. I have heard that the HD DVRs will be among the last to be swapped for new boxes, but that is ok. Not to mention, at this price point, there is very little risk.

7. StephenP

StephenP Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip on the post counter! I got my hd-Tivo installed Friday. works like a champ! I think the mail in rebate is supposed to come on my next bill, as there was no mention of it in the box etc. The installer was surprised I got such a good deal on it, but this is a rural area and mine was the first HD-Tivo he had installed. He actually said I would need a special "HD" antenna to get the over the air channels. I just chuckled to myself and hooked my old UHF/VHF antenna up when he left.

FYI I don't have the NFL package or any movie packages so the "big spender" theory isn't totally accurate. I have been a member for 3+ years without missing a payment, which the CSR told me was the factor he needed.

Good Luck All!

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I got this deal last night, going to be installed on Sat afternoon. In total it was the HD-tivo with oval dish, OTA HD attenna, installation, 6 months of HBO and Showtime for $2, and $5 off the HD pack for 6 months. Total cost for equipment was $249.

I believe the factors they look at for comps are: amount of time you've been a customer, if your bill is paid on time, and how many services do you pay for. To what degree each matters I do not know.