DirecTV HD Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Flora, Jul 3, 2002.

1. David Flora

David Flora Stunt Coordinator

May 26, 2002
    I have 2 questions about the HD programming for DirecTV. First, I live in the boonies, so I had to get a national broadcast of ABC. Since the broadcasts are from the East and West coasts, are they broadcast in high definition? It sure doesn't look like it. If I can get it in HD format, how do I do it? I have a Mitsu HD TV and HD decoder.

Secondly, does anyone know if any DirecTV channels are planning on going to HD anytime soon? I love HD Net and my local HD broadcasts, but I would like more!

If anyone has any help for me, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
  2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    The network feeds are not HD, nor are any DirecTV broadcasts of local channels in areas where they are available.

In addition to HDNet, the only HD channels DirecTV offers are HBOHD and ShowtimeHD. You'll need to add the center lnb in order to get Showtime HD, as it's on the 110 satellite (HBOHD and HDNet are on the 119) You have to buy the entire HBO or Showtime packages in order to get the HD feeds, but there's no extra charge over the package price to get the HD feeds. As a rule, the HD feed will be the same programming as the East Coast non-HD version. Not all content on HBO and Showtime is true HD, many older movies and about half or more of the original programming is upgraded and in 4/3 with black bars on the side, but picture quality is still much better than the ntsc feed.