What's new

Directv H20 High Def receiver?? (1 Viewer)

ericJed

Agent
I am getting the Directv H20 HD receiver set up for me and I was woundering what you all thought about it? Pro-s & cons. Thanks
Eric

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pros:
Great picture quality -- I think even the satellite feeds are significantly better than either of my DirecTIVO's or previous standalone.

One of the best/most sensitive OTA digital tuners on the market. Great picture quality on Digital SD and HD channels. This unit pulls in stations that other receivers won't touch matched with a good OTA antenna. I easily pull in stable signals that my prior tuner would choke on (and it had a pretty decent tuner sensitivity).

HDMI input

All video outputs run simultaneously (using HDMI doen't disable composite or component outs)

Cons:
Not a TIVO. HD20-250 is still MIA.

It is Silver.

Some units run HOT.

Menu system is slower than previous units.

Channel changes can be slow particularly if use use the Native Output selection. It's much better if you just select 720p or 1080i as the only output (assuming you are using a HD TV).

There are a couple quirks in the favorite channel setup menu where if you try to page through the channels the unit will reset. It only seems to do it in the OTA section and it's fine as long as you use the channel numbers instead of the 'page' button, but it is irritating. Luckily it's only rarely a factor since most folks don't redo there favorites frequently.

One of the things that most folks dislike is looking at the Guide Grid is that the first push gets you to a guide filter screen instead of directly to the Guide. You have to push select to get to the actual guide. You get used to it after awhile, but everytime you look at the Guide it takes take button pushes. There is some hope that a firmware fix may eventually get rid of this, but nobody is holding their breath.

Overall:
Very good unit since the Pros are far outweigh the cons IMO particularly since it was free after the $200 rebate (assuming it ever comes in the mail).

ericJed

Agent
I was wondering if you have a similar issue with it as I do? I'm only getting a 67-70% signal strength with the H20, Even though the strength on all my other receivers have 90-94%. The tech told me that 70% was normal because of the MPEG-4 chip in the receiver. But I'm now worried that the smallest rain shower will kill ny sig all together. Any thoughts??

Eric

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is a property of the H20 though Im not sure it has anything to do with the MPEG4 chip or not. The scale is relative and not an absolute scale. Everybody seems to get 20 points or so lower on the H20, but the rainfade lower limit also seems to be 20 points lower so it shouldnt make a difference at all.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Best overall information on the H20 for better or for worse though honestly the posts seem to be a little more negative than really deserved. A lot of posts and you have to wade through a lot of redundant information, but this is the most complete I found.

AVS Discussion on H20

timNGY

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very satisfied with the HD reception, and agree with everyone that it is easier to pick up OTA with the H20. Only complaint is that menu could be faster. You get used to it after awhile. Not a big deal though.

ericJed

Agent
So no one has a complaint on the low signal strength? Im getting pixelization even on a sunny day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks