DirecTV equipment packages

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Lee, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

So I'm probably going to be getting DirecTV in mid-august and I've been looking into the best way to get a good start-up deal. I want a DirecTivo and I want to make sure I can take advantage of the dual-tuner recording stuff. So I know this means I need at least a dual-LNB dish. I also may want the option of a second room (ie: one extra regular receiver).

Basically, DirecTV's website seems to allow you to order everything direct. For something like $250 + handling ($35) you can get the DirecTivo (Hughes unit I believe) and an extra regular receiver. However, they're a little vague on if its a dual LNB dish. There's a vague indication that's part of the package with the HDVR. What I was wondering was if it would be better to go with one of the packages offered by one of the online retailers, or even local retailers. There seem to be a lot of similar options.

One of the sites linked to from DirecTV's website offered a similar package for about $260 including installation but offering a 3-LNB dish. Would it be a good idea to try to get a 3-LNB dish incase I decide to upgrade to an HD receiver sometime in the near future? Should I consider going through a 3rd party source or just go through directv's website?

2. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

Where do you live?

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Go through Blockbuster and get the 1 room deal for about $10. When ordering tell them you want the Para Tados dish for Spanish language programming. They will upgrade to this dish for free. When the install is complete just sign up for whatever programming package you want. The next day you will be considered an existing customer so call DirecTV again and order an HDVR2 (aka DirecTivo) with the Friends and Family discount code FFDVR. It's $159 + $25 shipping and it comes with free installation. One suggestion, if you are putting the regular receiver in a bedroom or some other place, have them do the original install in that location.

-Robert

4. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

I'm in Madison, WI. I think I'm going to try something along the lines of what Cliff suggested. I just realized I may not have $200 sitting around when I need to get DirecTV and so an upgrade to a DirecTivo might be the best bet a week or two after getting the actual DTV service (since if we move into our apartment and there's no TV, after I've muscled control of what we get away from my roommates, they might be a bit upset).

so I think I'm going to try to get as close to a free 1 receiver deal as possible, then use the DirecTivo subscriber upgrade assuming its still available in late August/early September.

Just out of curiosity, why have the original install in the secondary location? What if I temporarily need the 1 regular receiver where the DirecTivo will eventually be?

5. KenE

KenE Extra

Keep in mind you'll need a multiplexer if you're running a DTivo and another receiver. 2 connections from the dual LNB and 3 connections total to your 2 boxes. I opted for a 4x6 and stuck an antenna on for FM reception. Each of the 6 outs from the mux gets all signals.

Also, if you hadn't read this, with DTV every time you change programming (or add a box, etc), your 1-year contract resets.