What's new

DirecTV DVR's and HDTV (1 Viewer)

I'm thinking of buying a new HDTV, but am realizing that our current DirecTV/Tivo box probably doesn't send an HDTV signal (SD-DVR40). DirecTV says their HDTV DVR box is $399. Is this the only way for me to keep my Tivo and get an HD signal, or is there a better/cheaper way?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's the suggested price. Check out the HDTV Tivo section over at the Tivo Community for the latest deals including one where the HR10-250 is "almost free". And yes, this is the only DVR with Tivo software that will work with a HDTV signal. The new Series 3 that works with digital cable will be out before the end of the year.

I currently have a GXCEBOT (an older version of your DVR40) and an HR10-250 (upgraded to a 320GB drive). The HR10-250 records the majority of my programming and all of the HD shows. The GXCEBOT records my SD programming, conflicts and a backup for one of my local HD channels that sometimes doesn't come in.

-Robert

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
My free HR10 was delivered Saturday. Check your mail. If you are an NFL ST holder, they may have sent you the paperwork with a coupon code for a freebie. If not, call and ask.

I'm not an ST susbcriber. I am an extra innings subscriber though. Is that a deal breaker or do I need to be a ST subscriber?

ericJed

Agent
I got mine free from DTV after I reUp my ST. Although I should have waited because Here in Indiana, The new NEW H20-220 (I think) hits the public in Oct ( so DTV says) I need it to get local Indy in HD w/the tivo. I'll get it next month hopefully.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The HR20-700 (new HD DVR) is available from Best Buy right now. It will be available to all D* markets via D* and other retailers in a few weeks. Understand that it's not a Tivo. It runs software developed by NDS. Many Tivo users who have tried the NDS software have hated it. It does not buffer two channels at once. The OTA functionality is not turned on right now. Those are the biggest things for me other than it not being Tivo.

-Robert

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

I wish I had seen Roberts post before my install of the H20 yesterday. Made the switch from the HR10-250 to get interactivity for the NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan, plus the local channels in HD. The first strike against the H20 was the change in remote, a big issue to my wife who is used to the streamlined model that comes with the HR10-250. The second strike was the change in the menu system, neither one of us cares for it. The third and biggest strike is the recorder feature; its nowhere near as smooth as the HR10-250 (TIVO) and will actually stop during forward or reverse and refuse to move, so you're stuck watching commercials if you have to pause for any reason. OTA is funtional and that was the second positive of the evening, watching CSI in HD. The second positive is that it looks great, silver with blue indicator lighting. The positives don't outweigh the negatives, especially in light of Robert's comment about the inability to buffer two channels. Instead of asking Direct TV to send a replacement H20, I'm sending it back and reactivating my HR10-250; new is not always improved :thumbsdown: :frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm in no hurry to change out my HR10-250's, MPEG-4 or not. The buffering between two channels is a big issue with me.

Crawdaddy

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
It was good to have the HR10-250 back with all the programs we'd already recorded intact. Reactivation was no problem, but it seems DirectTV will not accept a return on a purchased DVR :eek: ? It will sell easily on Ebay but its a shame to have to go through the hassle. Lesson learned.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I love my directv hd tivos, but they can be frustrating. My OTA tuners have always been finicky. I've got them dialed in, but it took a lot of fiddling when the tv's built in tuners were tuned much more easily. I've also waited forever for the software update (6.3a) that would add folders to the Now Playing List and speed to the menus and guides. Now that it is here, I am loving it. But it has also brought random audio dropouts of 10 secs or so in length when watching OTA hd. I'll probably get one HR20 so that I can compare. We use a harmony remote, so losing the peanut is not a big deal. I will hate to lose the dual tuner buffers as they are critical for Sundays during football season. But it may be the price I pay for the interactive features and stable OTA.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I've also waited forever for the software update (6.3a) that would add folders to the Now Playing List and speed to the menus and guides
For the HR10-250? Is this to be downloaded automatically, I have not seen it appear on mine? Can it be downloaded via the sat without the land-line connection?

I have OTA issues, have to dual-record LOST on the analoge channel (for backup) and digital, I get video dropouts via the digital.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Never mind, but I'm glad I saw your post re Software upgrade long talked about is out.
I googled it, appears it does take reconnecting my land line to the STB, and that some users have experinced a glitch with new recordings.
Shall take a wait and watch stance to see if D* resolves issues which occur for some units upgrading.

Thanks for mentioning the topic!

DougP

Agent
I hope this isn't off topic, it's very close even though not quite aligned with the entire thread...

I am looking for a replacement for my series 1 Tivo and I am looking to receive and record OTA HD broadcasts. I am looking for 1080i with component output only (my Panasonic CT36HX41 doesn't have HDMI or DVI) and if I had or wanted DirectTV the HR10-250 would be a perfect match (I think)...

However, I:
1) Can't use DirectTV since I rent (can't install dish).
2) I am primary interested in OTA HD broadcasts in my area
3) Need the ability to continue to record and view programming from my existing cable provider...

Any chance I could use the HR10-250 without the DirectTV service yet still subscribe to "regular" Tivo and connect my cable to the HR10-250 AND an OTA antenna to the machine? I understand it has more than one tuner - I use the composite input because I don't have digital cable so I would think I could use the two OTA tuners?

Or am I just crazy? :)

Alternatively I am thinking of just getting a DIRECTV H20 (HD Tuner w/o OTA) and I could watch OTA HD. But then I couldn't record :-( I think the novelty would wear off far too fast...

thanks guys.

Mary M S

Screenwriter

That statement via link had better be incorrect. This subject came up a long time back, I questioned D* and was assured the OTA was not tied to subscription. There is nothing in my owners manual regarding this topic other than [all] features of the box will not function without a subscription. No where in the owners manual does it state the STB will be completely disabled without a subscription.
It specifically states [some] features will be unavailable....and does not read, - without a monthly, - it is a boat anchor.

I’m not a believer in class action in electronics but would research the possibility (and would join one) of D* being served, if they attempt this. The only other acceptable recourse for D* to maintain my patronage would be granting me full cash refund (not tied to trade-in or their service) for the early-adoption pay-to-own price I paid for this unit.

I am still using a much older earlier generation HD STB as an OTA decoder on one display, I expect to do the same with the HR10-250 till Mpeg renders it obsolete.

If D* pulls this, I will never do business with them again, regardless how many HD channels (as compared to competitors) they add.

IF my unit has a breakdown yet they post-purchase reflash the software of HR10-250's linking the OTA feature (of all HR10-250’s still functioning and in consumers hands) to subscription, I will never do business with D* again.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Re: 6.3a

I believe I may hold off ever connecting to a landline for my HR10-250.
I have to wonder, did D* bundle, OTA tied-to-subscription in this 'upgrade'?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was part of the only class action lawsuit over a DVR. The Dishplayer 7100 was the biggest POS on the market. But it was first and a lot of people paid a lot of money for it. Did I get my money back? NO! I got a coupon stating that if I sign back up with Dishnetwork, I will get one of their current DVR's for free. It's not worth the time. Only lawyers profit on these things.

-Robert

Mary M S

Screenwriter

Robert, understood and that is why I do not support class-action as a satisfying resolution for the consumer but I do tolerate (the end cost to me) when I factor the limited contribution to a [end effect - mild wrist slap] deterrent to Defendants.

For the end users, these are lose/lose situations.
Yet hopefully it has a potential to give defendants pause, with a net effect to consumer that in future decisions, damages for the end users are mitigated, though I am also aware corporations can and do calculate costs involved.
If the balance sheet appears it will stay cumulatively in the black, they just pick up the phone and send the defense lawyers.

However in cutthroat pace of TV 2.0 electronics/providers, - they should never neglect calculating the harder to quantify repercussions. If your products lose their hotness ‘edge’ and you layer on an increase in discontented consumers, the combo can escalate negatively.
Ex: AOL’s losses of market share via consumer perceptions and dissatisfactions with parts of their business model.

Appreciate the reply!

Mary M S

Screenwriter

...don't I know IT. [she who had to get her own HD upgrade install working when the D* installer could not, and troubleshoot more than once relatives E* and cable issues]

CSR's hired by a Company, trained by a Company, and flip-book provided by a Company do represent the 'face' of that company. And companies need to be held to accountablty for their hires actions, else why do I have to listen to that recording....."for quality assurance this conversation" :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks