DirecTV DVR to DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tillerman, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Tillerman

Tillerman Auditioning

Currently I have a DirecTV DVR and it is filling up fast. I would like to record some of the shows from the DVR to DVD and I am unsure of the best way to do this. If anyone has any comments or material that could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it.

2. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

Buy a standalone DVD recorder and connect it to your DVR. Use the Save to VCR function on the DVR to playback your programs and record them to DVD.

3. Tillerman

Tillerman Auditioning

Ok that sounds easy, would I be able to watch something different while it is recording or am I stuck watching it record?

4. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

You'll be stuck watching it record.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have a DVR with the Dish Network. I know that with the two-tuner version I have, I can play recorded material to the TV2 output and record that feed, while watching the TV1 feed, as normal. Does Tivo have anything like that? I suppose you would need a two tuner box though.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Stand alone Tivos are all single tuner/single output models. DirecTV DVRs powered by Tivo are all dual tuner/single output models. I dump to DVD at night just before bed and in the morning before work.

-Robert

7. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

If you don't want to deal with a standalone DVD recorder, you could also look into hacking your DVR to extract video directly to your PC and burn to DVD with a DVD burner. I do that with my DirecTiVo. I use a package called TyTools to pull the video off of the TiVo, edit out commercials and then create a DVD.

Lots of information on this at dealdatabase.com. Be forewarned, though. This requires a lot of reading and the folks at DDB are not very friendly.

8. MichaelTa

MichaelTa Agent

I do the same as Robert_J. I have a Direct TV DVR and a Panasonic DMR ES30V VHS/DVD recorder. I use the flex time so as to get the most out of recording vs a fixed 2/4/6 hour time. I like what I have seen the past month with this unit. I record and put onto disc some of the different car races that come on during the weekend and bring them into the auto parts store I run during the week and play them on a tv we have in the store. Gotta keep the restless masses interested in staying for more then the 2 minutes most have alloted for buying parts that no longer exist or are not easy to find. This sure beats the heck out of vhs tapes.