DirecTv Dolby Digital help please!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JeffDowder, Jan 9, 2005.

1. JeffDowder

JeffDowder Auditioning

I have a Hughes DirecTv Tivo unit that supports Dolby Digital connected to my onkyo receiver with the optical cable. Everything works fine except programs broadcast in dolby surround (pay perview movies, Lost) are displayed as PCM input on my receiver. Dolby Digital works fine on my setup from DVD's and I have selected the option in the Hughes receiver to output Dolby when available.
    Am I missing something here?

My first post!

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Sounds like you found the option in the D* receiver which is where most users trip up.

I guess I would then ask if you are 100% sure that the content in question is in DD 5.1? Not all movies are. If its says Dolby Surround, its not DD 5.1. If its 5.1, it will usually say that explicitly in the program banner.

You also mention Lost. Are you getting your locals from DirecTV? If so, it may or may not be sending the 5.1 audio....maybe it is being downmixed to PCM.

I get my locals via OTA antenna (I have a HD Tivo),so I don't no for sure how D* handles locals, but I wager it is not sending it out in true 5.1.

BGL

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Very few movies on DirecTV, especially ppv are actually in 5.1. Unless your DirecTivo is one of the HD units and you are getting Lost from the ABC-HD feed off the satellite you won't get 5.1. ABC only broadcasts 5.1 on the HD feeds. Some local stations broadcasting in HD pass on this feed, some don't, but none of them have 5.1 on the SD feed which is what you would get off your dish if you don't have an HD Tivo and receive the national ABC-HD feed (channels 86 and 87 for East and West coasts respectively).

4. JeffDowder

JeffDowder Auditioning

Thanks! you guys are totally right. I assumed all payper view movies would be dolby digital like a DVD. I watched the first five minutes of the chronicles of ridick and it was in Dolby Digital! There is a little DD logo in the directv info menu when it is avaliable!

Thanks for the help