DirecTV/DirecTivo questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianShort, Sep 24, 2002.

1. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I'm thinking about switching from cable to DirecTV (or possibly Dish) and the DirecTivo boxes sound intriguing. I have a couple questions though.

First, I've read with DirecTivo that it can record on 2 channels simultaneously while you watch a 3rd. Does DirecTV charge extra for this, like they do if you have a 2nd receiver, or do you just pay the $4.95 a month fee for TiVo? (That's the cost I found in the DirecTivo series 2 FAQ).

If I had the DirecTivo unit, this would also mean I'd have a spare DTV receiver, yes? How much does DTV charge for use of a 2nd receiver hooked to a 2nd TV? This is somewhat of a concern because I like several HBO shows, unfortunately some people in my family seem to be offended by swearing (sigh) so right now I have the HBO cable box hooked to my bedroom system. It would be nice if you could hook DirecTV to multiple systems without paying an extra monthly charge.

Also, do all DirecTV receivers have Dolby Digital capability built in? The family system in the living room doesnt have DD, but my bedroom system does, so I'd like that if I put a receiver in my room.

How much does DirecTV charge for getting the networks? I think dish is like $5.95 a month?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions.

Brian

2. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

3. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Not quite. If you're recording two channels at once, you can't watch a third, but you can watch something already recorded.

Only the base model DirecTv receivers don't have DD. Dmitry told you the rest.

4. BrianShort

Ok, thanks. I assume this means the DirecTivo receivers offer DD?
    How much is a regular receiver that offers DD?

5. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

About $100 if you already have DirecTv. If you don't and get it as part of a package deal with a DirecTv with Tivo receiver, you can probably get it even cheaper. Check out www.tivo.com for a $149 DirecTv with Tivo deal, as well as links to online retailers and more info in general.

6. BrianShort

Sorry for all the questions, but I did have one more... I was looking at some of the DirecTivo packages at a couple of the online dealers that sell them, and obviously they all come with 18" dishes. The catch is, I'm in Ketchikan, AK, in Southern SE Alaska (maybe 800 miles NW of Seattle) and I've heard you need a 3 or 4 foot dish up here to get a good signal. Are there dishes that size that support the 2 tuners in the DirecTivo boxes?

Brian

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

8. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

As far as what size a dish you'd need, I'd contact a local Satellite installation company, they can probably hook you up correctly.

I'm sure if you used an Internet based one they'd not know what to do for that far north of a latitude.

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

If you purchase through DirecTV, they arrange a local installer, who, I would hope, knows what you need.

BL