What's new

DirecTV and OTA antenna help (1 Viewer)

WilliamPC

Agent
Thanks, I hope this is the right place.

I have Directv and am not eligible to recieve any network HDTV feeds. I have tried several indoor antennas and odly enough the old generic non powered rabbit ears worked the best but only occassionaly and only for one channel, ABC.

I checked atennaweb for the right antenna but became confused with all the colors. This is what we are looking at when I just search for "digital" stations:

* yellow - uhf KNVN-DT 36.1 NBC CHICO CA 131° 23.4 36
* red - uhf KIXE-DT 9.1 PBS REDDING CA 268° 17.2 18
* red - uhf KRCR-DT 34.1 ABC REDDING CA 268° 17.2 34
* blue - uhf KHSL-DT 43.1 CBS CHICO CA 125° 51.9 43

Can someone tell me the best antenna to get to pull in all these channels?? Also, according the antennaweb, the Fox carrier in Chico, Ca isnt a HD carrier so am I SOL if I want FOX HD?? I get FOX SD thru DTV.

Is an outdoor antenna going to give me better results? If yes, can someone point me in the right direction??

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator
i couldnt recieve anything until i put up a big outdoor antenna, and even then i need an amp to make it a good signal, but i am a ways from the tower,

a rooftop ant. was a huge difference for me though

WilliamPC

Agent
Thanks Jeremy,

Can you tell me anything about your setup antenna wise??

Make, model, and anything I should be aware of?

What I dont understand is how to incorporate it into my existing DirecTV setup. Do I need to make a new wire run or can I splice into the existing run and somehow split the signal at the reciever???

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can combine it into one of your coax cables from the dish using a diplexer. You split it back out at the receiver using another diplexer. You will lose a little signal strength from both the antenna and the satellite by going this route. It shouldn't be noticable unless you already have a marginal signal.

Stay away from Terk or any other antenna that looks stealthy. An antenna looks like an antenna for a reason. Stick with Radio Shack, Wingard and Channel Master as good quality brands.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks