1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

DirecTV and HDTV - new equipment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Wilson, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Stunt Coordinator

I have visited the websites of Hughes, Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba trying to find information on the new HDTV satellite receivers without any luck. I've reviewed this forum and performed a few internet searches. Has anyone heard when new receivers are due out and by which companies? Has anyone reviewed one of the new receivers? I am considering purchasing a 65" RPTV with integrated HDTV tuner and also would like to upgrade my current DirecTV equipment.

Secondly, I have read on the DirecTV site that the merger with dish is still being considered by the FCC. Has anyone seen any information as to whether the merger will mean that the equipment will be based on Dish boxes or DirecTV boxes? Or totally new boxes? I'd hate to spend the money right now only to see the receiver useless in a couple of months.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Rick,
    I would find it incredible if DirectTV would obsolete their boxes with the installed base they have. Those kind of moves typically spell disaster in market share losses since it would open up the market to substitution technologies like cable again. Anything they will come up with in the near future would likely be backward compatible with existing boxes. At least that is what rational business strategy would dictate. [​IMG]
    Joel

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor