DirecTV $49 Equipment Upgrade Offer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Bennett, May 4, 2003.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Hi everyone,
    My parents have had DirecTV at their house since June of 1997. To get locals, we've been using a Terk outdoor antenna that generally works well, but it doesn't get some of the stations. Recently, we heard that the locals in Hartford are now up on a second satellite but you need a multisatellite dish and reciever to get them. Just yesterday we recieved a postcard offering an upgrade of dish and reciever to multisatellite capable and a professional install for $49(if you commit to a year of programming which is a non issue for them). Anyhow, I'm curious if anyone knows what brand/model of reciever we'll recieve. We've currently got a second generation Hitachi reciever which, while nice at the time, just isn't cutting it anymore. Their needs are basic, all they need is an s-video output. Any ideas what model DirecTV will provide and if it'll have an S-Video output? Thanks for any info. It'll be very nice to have the locals on the dish and still having the antenna to fall back on if needed.

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

It is dependant on whatever your installer has for stock. I got a Hughes platinum reciever with DD out and caller ID.

3. Wes Goff

Wes Goff Extra

I've installed direct for 2 years and every box i've seen has s-video.

4. Dave Bennett

Cool thanks for the info. As I said, their current reciever is pretty basic but I just wanted to make sure that they'll have S-Video. They're excited though because not only will we be able to get the locals on satellite, but they'll be able to have a reciever that has a speedier program guide. The hitachi seemed fast in '97 when compared to the first generation RCA boxes, but it seems like a dinosaur now.

5. Dave Bennett

I logged onto DirecTV.com using our account and they have the reciever model listed as a Samsung SIR-S70. I'm not even sure if the guy has come out to install the new reciever/dish yet but it's nice to see they updated the info on the web already. Just from a quick glimpse at it, this reciever looks amazing compared to our old Hitachi! I'm sure the program guide will seem insanely fast by comparison as well. I also like the miniature screen of what's on the channel when you're browsing the guide. All in all, I think this reciever is really gonna be nice. My parents(and I while I'm living there before I get a job/apartment after graduation) will really like this reciever.

6. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

wow only 49 bucks to upgrade, I'm gonna have to take advantage, so I'll be able to get my Locals(Shreveport)when added, actually they'll be available on any system for a while then only on a multi system

Anyhow does the new system have the Interactive service, I really want that [​IMG]

7. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I was told about a year ago that the local channels were now available for my area but that you needed additional equipment because they were being broadcast from a different satellite or something. Now all of a sudden, a year later, they are available on the original satellite. So now I can get them without upgrading. I don't know if they freed up some bandwidth on the original satellite or what but just thought I'd mention it.

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

i believe they are using spot broadcasting for locals which freed up space