DirecTV + 2 HDTV sets = Need help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

In the living room I have a Hitachi HDTV, the basement has a Sanyo 60HT. I want to install a dual LNB, HD DirecTV system that will provide both systems an HD feed. What equipment do I need? Any recommendations on manufacturers? Also, are there any DirecTV receivers that feed an HD signal from the sat and OTA (from antenna) to the set/projector or do I have to purchase a separate HD box?

2. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

At the minimum you will need an oval (18" x 24") dish to pick up 2 satelites, plus 2 set top boxes. I believe most of the boxes have an input for an antenna for OTA signals.

3. Dennis Reno

OK, got it. But do the receivers provide a true HD feed or do I need a separate HD box?

4. Michael Johnston

The one box should receive HD satelite and decode it as well as upconvert any standard def material. I believe most boxes will also decode OTA HD, so you should be set with just one box per HDTV.
    I don't own one yet, so can't give you any specific recommendations as far as brand/model, etc.
    Michael

5. Michael Johnston

I would recommend starting with just one HD set top box to see how you like it (and maybe get a standard DirecTv box for the lesser used TV).
    You might also want to check how much programming is in your area before taking the leap.
    Good luck,
    Michael

6. Dennis Reno

Thanks for the help Michael!