What's new

DirectTV with Tivo and local channels? (1 Viewer)

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, wife tells me VCR is not recording and chews tapes now.
Fix it she says!! Well I could buy a cheap new one or ask for some expert advice here on directivo.

I have been reading about DTV and find nothing but good things. I don't do the bills but our local cable(Time Warner) is around $40 if not more. So switching to DTV will not be that much of a price difference. My question is my wife will want to record local stations but we do not get them in this area (Oswego NY 30 miles north of Syracuse). How will I be able to record local channels with the directivo? Do I need a extra antenna?

Also where to buy my service and equipment? Checked out orbitsat and seemed to be reasonable. Also not doing the whole HDTV thing yet but should I invest now or hold out when I actually make the change in a few years or more.

Thanks

Pete

Pete_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Also I forgot to mention if I kept basic cable through TW which is around $8 could I record them with the Directtivo?

Pete

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Pete,

DirecTiVo will only record DirecTV programming. In order to record your local stations, you will have to have either an antenna hooked to a VCR or your $8 cable hooked to a VCR. An alternative would be to keep your $40 cable and just buy a stand alone TiVo unit to use with that.

HTH,

Deborah

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Check out the spot beam map and see if a beam is aimed at your city. You sign up and move your service address to that city. You have locals, just not from your city. It's worth it for the full digital recordings and dual tuners. Also the monthly fee is cheaper than the stand alone.
Circuit City is taking pre-orders for the new Series 2 model DirecTivo (really DirecTV PVR powered by Tivo). Check out the DirecTV section at Tivo Community for all of the details on price matching and the best deals.
-Robert

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I am doing what you are looking to do, although the previous posters are correct, you can't connect cable or antenna to a DirecTivo.

I have a standalone Tivo, a Sony DirecTV box, and I get locals over cable ($8/month). I previously had an OTA antenna, but recently moved such that reception is not as good as I would like, thus cable.

BL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks