What's new

DirectTV vs. Dishnet comes down to equipment ..Help (1 Viewer)

Richard_s

Second Unit
I have posted with many of you ranting in the "digital" cable services post with regard to cable boxes supplied not having s-video or SPDID for Digital Dolby. I was not concidering Satellite systems until now but I am fed up with ATT btroadband so I have been researching satellite. I know many of you have experience with this so here is what I need some help on with regard to equipment boy am I frustrated. For now I am going to call ATT and drop all movie channels and just rent DVD's until I get satellite.
I want to be able to watch one channel and record another so looks like I need two receivers to do this. Now I am looking into DirectTV and Dishnet (both seem comperable on cost of service).
DirectTV has two options UltimateTV and TIVO integrated into the receiver. I found this unit at Best Buy for $199 ----RCA Combination DIRECTV Dolby Digital Satellite Receiver and UltimateTV DVR Model: DWD490RE. I am sure there are others. What I can not figure out is if I need the ultimateTV service for $10/month or can this unit be set up to record without the service. Does not seem to have digital composite video either so is there any way to get this.
Dishnet they have a PVR system. Maybe someone knows I can't seem to figure it out. I have written them E-mails with no response I will call them. Does anyone have a Dishnet system that allows for someone to watch one channel and record another and also have digital sound connections? Any way of getting digital composite video?
I know I am asking alot here I am just frustrated. Appreciate any help you can offer on the equipment side of the satelite dillemna. Model numbers links or anything you can offer to help. I am still searching the net for answers.
Richard. I am still :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Currently Dish only has the PVR501. It is a single tuner box. That means you can record a channel and watch a previously recorded show but you can't record a channel and watch another channel. The PVR508 will be released soon. It is just a 501 with a bigger hard drive. The dual tuner PVR721 has been announced but I don't know what the release date is. The 501 has up to 35 hours recording, 508 up to 80 hours of recording. Not user upgradeable. The software is buggy and you will lose recordings. You can find more info at DBS Forums in the PVR section.
For DirecTV, you have two choices, DirecTivo or UltimateTV. Microsoft has either cut back support or stopped it all together for UltimateTV (depending of where you are reading). It is a dual tuner model. You can record up to 35 hours. DirecTivo has the same dual tuner functionality but better software (in my opinion). I've had DirecTivo since December (when I dropped Dish) and it is great. I haven't missed a single show that I've set to record. It records shows even when they are not on at their regular time. Tivo and DirecTV have just renewed their partnership so the support is there. Also DirecTivos are going for under $50 for new customers. Both require the $10 monthly fee to record (or lifetime for DirecTivo).
DirecTivo and UltimateTV can be upgraded but you will lose your warranty. I'm not sure how big you can make a U* box but you can get over 200 hours of recording with a DirecTivo box with two 100GB drives.
Other Links:
Tivo Community DirecTV section
AVS ForumUltimate TV section
-Robert

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I posted my experience with ATT digital in the digital cable thread. It's a 3 page thread and my post is buried on page 3 so if anyone has not seen it it's worth reading.
I've been mulling over satellite for some time but I have not pulled the trigger yet. From what I have researched the Dish PVR501 is very buggy so if the personal video recording capability is important to you then go with the directivo. WWW.expertsatellite.com has a directivo system for 29.95 plus shipping including installation. But if you use coupon code CMJDR2 you get 29.95 off.
For everything you want to know about directivo check out the forums on www.tivocommunity.com.

Westly T

Second Unit
I have Dish and have a dish player, but Tivo is much better in my opinion. I have a Sony Tivo that I use and the dishplayer is only used as a receiver now. If Direct has the programming you want and recording local broadcasts isn't an issue, then the Direct Tivo looks like a winner. The ability to record 2 programs at once while watching another pre recorded one is very nice. Tivo has much better features then Dishes Dishplayer or PVR models. It follows your shows when they change times, learns what you like and records these as well! Another problem I had with the Dishplayer is when you upgrade the hard disk it will go crazy when the disk gets close to full, while the Tivo is completely stable after upgrading it.

Westly T

Second Unit
I also wanted to add the Dishplayer had intermittent problems and when it recorded Dolby Digital the audio would go back and forth between DD 2.0 - PCM and DD 5.1 causing small periods of no audio intermittently through the recording. This always happened the whole time I had it setup with personal TV.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"You did know that if things work out dishnetwork is going to buy out direct tv and they will be merged"

Scott,

From what i understand, thats a done deal.. DishNetwork bought DirecTV. Look for all the changes this summer.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From what i understand, thats a done deal.. DishNetwork bought DirecTV. Look for all the changes this summer.
The buyout has been approved by both companies but is still waiting on federal approval. A lot of people are fighting it saying it will create a satellite TV monopoly.

-Robert

Scott Holt

Agent
I hadn't heard lately, been too busy to pay attention. I don't think dish will let anything bad happen. Charlie seems to be a consumer friendly guy. It will only help for the hdtv line. That's what they say. Anyone know any more??????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks