What's new

DirectTV receiver without DirectTV? (1 Viewer)

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
I see that BestBuy is offering the Samsung SIR-TS360 satellite tuner for $299.00. I want to get OTA Hi-Def programming and see that this will decode it. The BestBuy sales guy says that if you don't activate the DirectTV card that comes with the tuner, they will bill your credit card $400.00. Is this true? I have no dish and have no intention of getting DirectTV. Should I just stick with an OTA-only decoder?

I'm not really seeing anything for less than $349.00... except this thing...

Thanks!

David Judah

Screenwriter
You might be able to find someone who'll sell you one without the activation agreement, but most retailers will require it so they get the residuals from Direc TV for the sale.

There should be some new OTA ones coming fairly soon. You could always use a computer HD tuner card, if you are going to get a new computer soon and will have your old one leftover. Those computer tuners are getting cheaper and cheaper.

DJ

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll stick with a strictly OTA tuner, I have no intention of getting DirecTV. Circuit City has one for approx. $299.00... and then there's eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks