DirectTV questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Juan Castillo, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Noob stuff..

We purchased a DirectTV two room system this weekend.
    Reading the installation instructions.. they repeatedly state that I should not use RG-59 to install, it would apparantly not work.

We just moved into a new house (1yr old) and all the cable in the house is RG-59U. Will I have to pull and run RG-6 to all the rooms that I will possibly want to use the recievers in? Why won'g RG-59U work?

The system we purchased had one regular and one DD capable reciever. The difference of connection versatility has me confused. The DD receiver has Component Video along with S- and composite. It also has Toslink and Digital Coax..

Ok so thats for DD, why then does the non DD receiver have a Toslink as well?

Lastly, if we opt for the free installation, that will have me waiting for a few days, does that cover the tech, pulling and reinstalling RG-6 cable out of his supply, or will I have to pay for that cable as well? Thanks..

2. Alan K

Alan K Agent

A new house with RG59 run? Wow, every new house I've ever heard of uses RG6. Yes, you do need to use RG6, at least from the dish to the box you do. You could use RG59 from the box to the TV, but you should really be using S-video at the least. RG6 uses a thicker center conductor to handle the bandwidth of DSS, which is much different than regular broadcast bandwidth.
    All the new RCA boxes have Toslinks on them, whether they're DD or not. You can still use optical for two channel, take a look at the back of any new component CD player.
    If you got the DD box with the RF remote capability, you should use it. Many people with this box don't realize they can hide it in a cabinet and the remote will still work.

3. Juan Castillo

I was up in the attic making sense of the rats nest of cables.. and mostly all were marked RG-59U. Sucks huh. I will be (for the mean time, tv upgrade in the near future) using composite video. Not much better than coax, but its all my tv will handle. thanks for the tip on the RF remote. I will definitely use it.. It should also give longer and non directional coverage correct?

4. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

Arent the component connections for hdtv? I was looking into Direct TV and I noticed they have a special for $99 a HDVR2 that has tivo built in. Does that model have the ability to pass hdtv?

As far as the cables go I would definately replace them. One thing I learned about tv and home theater is the better quality wires you have the happier you will be...

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

6. Juan Castillo

What do you consider a short run?

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    20 or 30 feet. Any more than that and you won't get the full 18V to the LNB. The circuit will be "stuck" on 13V and you will only get half of your channels.

-Robert

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Juan,

9. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

11. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for clearing that up guys. We maybe this is a good place to ask my next question...

What do I need to get started with Direct TV? Should I call someone to get all the hardware or search the internet and then have someone come and install it all.

12. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Kevin Stewart
    Two great sites for complete systems with installation are valueelectronicsdotcom and expertsatellitedotcom. Expert currently has a 3 room system (with one of them being a directv with tivo) for $50 or a 5 room system for free.

Stew