What's new

DirectTV or Basic Cable? (1 Viewer)

Jae_P

Grip
I just found out that DirectTV is cheaper than my basic cable but i dont know which is better. Which one has a better picture quality? Which one is the best overall?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I would not hesitate to get Directv, if it does not bother you that adding it to more than two tv's can get rather expensive. I have directv, but I also have basic cable for my other tv's and for local channels. Since I am a sports fan, I believe directv is the greatest thing to come along next to HDTV. It has great reception compared to my cable (Cox Communications) and the sound is light years better. I dont know anything about how well you receive cable, but in my case Directv is superior in every way. If you are not an NFL fan, look into Dish Network as well, they both will be superior to to most cable companies.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
what about getting local channels when you use DTV or Dish Network? I have been thinking about this too when I move into my first house in June. I get agriviated that the picture quality isnt better on my cable, and some channels arent even broadcast in stereo. OTOH, I require access to local channels, and I use cable inernet. Should I just stick with crappy cable?

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
The thing is, it's kind of hard to get Direct TV unless you have your own home. I live in a townhouse, and I cannot get Direct TV unless I go through the association management's official provider. But their terms are pretty unreasonable.
I wanted to buy my own dish and receiver. There was a special going on at Best Buy that included free equipment and installation with a one year commmitment. This was an absolute no brainer for me.
Turns out I can't get that package deal. I can't own my own dish. I have to pay to rent the dish from the guy (which is supposed to cover maintenance and repair). I have to pay him for an activation fee. And the dish I activate isn't for me alone. I have to share it with my neighbours, meaning that I have to get permission from my neighbours before I can get it installed.
This is just flat out unreasonable. So I was stuck with cable. I'm still mad.
:angry:

AndrewJ

Auditioning
Sam, are you aware that federal regulations prohibit a housing association from banning the use of individual satellite dishes as long as you mount the dish within your boundary, or sole use common area (such as your yard or balcony). You can look up the regulations at www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html
Of course, this will only be of use to you if you can get line of site to the satellite from a location within your boundary, but it's worth investigating.
Good luck
Andrew

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
I get satellite through the apartment building I live in...and I hate it! Sound is very distorted on a few channels...reception is questionable to bad on those and a few others. Can't run my own box to get Tivo. No Dolby Digital broadcasts. No pay per view. No local channels.

I tried to work it out with the cable company but it seems the building manager/s need to cooperate and since they're generating revenue with internet and satellite service, I think they'll be reluctant to cooperate.

Certainly not apples to apples when considering DirecTV for a house...but I had to vent.

Curses!

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I dont know what kind of sattellite you have..but that does not sound like satellite at all... I had directv...and now have dishnetwork- You can get local channels or use a terk antenna on the dish... to get your locals...

Cannot stand cable- we had way to many outages..and they raise the prices way too often...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks