DirectTV & HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Brunner, Feb 1, 2001.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

Does anyone have any GOOD stories regarding DirectTV and the HDTVs. I have heard how bad the picture can be and I certainly can't afford NEW equipment over and above this new Sony HS10 I have purchased (not delivered yet). Unless one watches a great majority of DVD over other sources, from what I have been hearing, why would anyone want to get this thing. I need encouragement that I made the right decision in getting the HDTV. I can still cancel. I watch 50%+ other than DVD.
    Thank you all for your help

2. Dean Kaye

Dean Kaye Auditioning

John,
    Don't worry, you made a sound decision to buy an HDTV now rather than later. I've had my Tosh TW56x81 for just over a year and I love it. Though I'm still waiting for a do able HDTV receiver solution. (From what I've been reading the Hughes Box is set to be released next week, but we've all heard that story) I currently have DirectTV running on two displays, the X81 and a fairly decent direct view Samsung 27". If you were to do a side by side comparison of the two sets, the X81 has a far better picutre quality. I'm not sure if its due to the line doubler in the unit. I guess I'm spoiled because when I watch a direct view set, I can't help but notice the individual pixels or lack of pixels! Even though I am as of yet unable to receive a HI RES broadcast, I beleve my purchase was a sound choice. Wait until you see a dvd!
    Take Care
    Dean Kaye

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

It's my understanding that the line doubler in the Sony along with the DRC (or are they the same) does a decent job on the DirectTV stuff. If I can get near as good as I now have on my 32" Sony I will be satisfied. I'm only getting the 53" size and if I set 12 to 13 feet away, maybe the pixel situation won't be toooooo bad. Thank you for your encouragement.
    Any others out there?
    JohnB

4. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

I have the 53-HS10, and I love the picture from Directv. I sit about 8-9 feet away, and have rarely, if ever, seen a bad picture. Don't worry, you made a great choice. I also have cable on this TV (with no other TV to compare the quality of the feed to...) and that picture is OK. It's not great, but I don't mind it. But the DSS feed is very satisfactory.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Extra

Thank you both and I am feeling better
    Regards,
    JohnB