What's new

Directors Pitifully Underrepresented On Blu-ray, A-L (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Here is a (very) partial list of directors who are being paid little or no attention to by studios on Blu-ray: (some of the titles I use as examples are available from other countries, but as I write this, they are not for sale in the US).

Woody Allen (Way-y-y too long getting his best titles out)
Robert Altman We're getting there, about 1 per year, but where are THIEVES LIKE US, McCABE & MRS. MILLER, etc.?)
Jack Arnold (Universal Sci-Fi, THE MOUSE THAT ROARED)
Carroll Ballard (How about THE BLACK STALLION & NEVER CRY WOLF, and DUMA people?)
Robert Benton (PLACES IN THE HEART, NOBODY'S FOOL, THE LATE SHOW)
Peter Bogdanovich (NICKELODEON, PAPER MOON, TARGETS, MASK)
John Boorman (EMERALD FOREST, BEYOND RANGOON, HOPE AND GLORY)
Albert Brooks (All films, but especially LOST IN AMERICA)
Clarence Brown (NATIONAL VELVET, THE YEARLING)
Luis Bunuel (L'AGE d'OR, EXTERMINATING ANGEL, THE DISCREET CHARM..., THAT OBSCURE OBJECT...)
Frank Capra (Where to begin...?)
William Castle (I SAW WHAT YOU DID, THE NIGHT STALKER, THE TINGLER, HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL)
Jack Clayton (THE INNOCENTS, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, ROOM AT THE TOP)
George Cukor (BORN YESTERDAY, DAVID COPPERFIELD, LITTLE WOMEN)
Michael Curtiz (SEA HAWK, CAPTAIN BLOOD, YANKEE DOODLE DANDY)
Jules Dassin (RIFIFI, TOPKAPI, CANTERVILLE GHOST, NAKED CITY)
William Dieterle (HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME 1939, DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER, LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA)
Edward Dmytryk (COSSFIRE, MIRAGE, MURDER MY SWEET)
Stanley Donan (FUNNY FACE, DAMN YANKEES, PAJAMA GAME)
Carl Theodore Dreyer (DAY OF WRATH, PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC, VAMPYRE)
Atom Egoyan (THE SWEET HEREAFTER, ARARAT, EXOTICA)
Terence Fisher (HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES 1959, DRACULA 1958, THE MUMMY 1959, THE GORGON)
Bryan Forbes (You name it)
Freddie Francis (Pick a title)
John Frankenheimer ( Some good titles out there, but missing THE TRAIN, SEVEN DAYS IN MAY, BLACK SUNDAY)
Samuel Fuller (THE BIG RED ONE, STEEL HELMET, PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET)
Bert I. Gordon (OK, a guilty pleasure: THE MAGIC SWORD, AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN, TORMENTED)
Christopher Guest (A MIGHTY WIND, WAITING FOR GUFFMAN)
Val Guest (DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE, QUATERMASS 1 & 2, WHEN DINLOSAURS RULED THE EARTH)
Byron Haskin (WAR OF THE WORLDS 1953, THE NAKED JUNGLE, TREASURE ISLAND 1950)
Henry Hathaway (CIRCUS WORLD, KISS OF DEATH, NEVADA SMITH)
Howard Hawks (RED RIVER, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS, BRINGING UP BABY)
Agnieszka Holland (SECRET GARDEN 1993, EUROPA EUROPA, OLIVIER, OLIVIER)
Ishiro Honda (RODAN, MOTHRA, THE MYSTERIANS, countless GODZILLA movies)
John Huston (KEY LARGO, MOBY DICK, PRIZZI'S HONOR, ASPHALT JUNGLE)
Kon Ichikawa (BURMESE HARP, FIRES ON THE PLAIN, THE MAKIOKA SISTERS)
Charles Jarrot (MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS, LITTLEST HORSE THIEVES, ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS)
Richard Lester (THREE & FOUR MUSKETEERS, JUGGERNAUT, PETULIA, A FUNNY THING HAPPENED...)
Arthur Lubin (FOOTSTEPS IN THE FOG, HOLD THAT GHOST, ALI BABA AND THE FORTY THIEVES)
Ernst Lubitsch (SHOP AROUND THE CORNER, NINOTCHKA)
Sidney Lumet (So many left to go... THE PAWNBROKER, FAIL SAFE, THE OFFENCE, PRINCE OF CITY)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great lists, but it's easy to miss an obvious one: John Ford!They Were ExpendableMy Darling ClementineShe Wore A yellow RibbonMister RobertsThree from Warner one from Fox..come on lads!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Billy Batson said:
Great lists, but it's easy to miss an obvious one: John Ford!They Were ExpendableMy Darling ClementineShe Wore A yellow RibbonMister RobertsThree from Warner one from Fox..come on lads!
I want those titles too, but he's not underrepresented on Blu-ray. Furthermore, I think at least two of those titles will be out in 2014.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I want those titles too, but he's not underrepresented on Blu-ray. Furthermore, I think at least two of those titles will be out in 2014.
Oo, I don't know about that, top director, arguably the best ever, & if you look at his list of credits over at the imdb, it's quite shocking to see the amount of films that haven't made it to Blu yet. Good news about (hopefully) a couple next year. My most wanted, They Were Expendable & She Wore A Yellow Ribbon....& found another one, Busby Berkeley! I have the main DVD box set, would love a Blu-ray set with the images as good as they can be. Warner, I think you're going to have to hire a few more people.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Another director to add, Bud Boetticher. All those marvellous Randolph Scott westerns: The Tall T, Ride Lonesome, Comanche Station ect. They've all been on the telly in HD in the UK. I hope they get a box set release like the DVD's did, & not single Twilight Time releases at $40 a pop

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Cukor's "Born Yesterday"(1950) will be released in 2014 by Twilight Time Entertainment in a limited-edition...HTF's Ron Epstein just had a 3-part contest where it and "La Bamba"(1987) and "Wild At Heart"(1990) were revealed to be upcoming releases from them for the 2014 calendar year...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks