1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Director's need to look at previous actor's/actresses movie roles...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Director

Michael Reuben

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Your right about Stewart, Michael, except X-Men. I mean, he's the guy in charge of an ecclectic group and sits in a chair all the time handing out orders. He's the brains rather than the brawn. [​IMG]
    On Weaving I will say that I think Hugo let too much of his Agent Smith come out in the Rivendell scenes. He was much better in all of the flashbacks. I would consider it PJ's job to keep that sort of thing in check. He needs to see that effect and let the actor know it's coming across that way.
    I realize many people didn't have a problem with it, but there are so many people that DID at least notice it that I can't just chalk it up to us needing to let it go or something. In some moments his mannerisms fell VERY close to his Agent Smith ones, and yet in the flashbacks he was nothing like Smith to me. Perhaps it stems from the amount of emotion in each scene. It might be that we are simply seeing Hugo's effort at being "emotionless and aloof". Yet he also has a similar bitterness come out with the topic of "man" in both films.
    I thought at those points the characters played much more similar than they really are, which is why I noticed it.
    But I would still have cast him. I don't think that in itself was a problem.
    Hell, if I changed the cast it would be to flip-flop Viggo and Sean Bean in their roles as I happen to think that Sean was acting circles around Viggo. Again, just an opinion.
    Regarding typecasting in general, I'm with Michael. Sometimes the actor doesn't have the range, but then that's what testing is for. If the actor can come in and show you something you are looking for then I think the audience will have no problem.
    So often I find myself pointing out to the J6's I know that a particular actor was also "X" in some other film only to have them shockingly realize it only at that moment. Like they might say "Where did this guy come from?" and I will respond with "He was in this other hit movie," figuring they hadn't seen that one. But instead I get "Oh, yeeeaahhhh, that WAS him wasn't it."
    So much for typecasting at that point.
    Plus, sometimes anti-typecasting serves a purpose of shock value and adds to the theme of the film. One notable example - Heston in Planet of the Apes. At the time (and really even now) his character's ideals and morals differred quite a bit from Heston's real personality and certainly from his "typical" roles. That helped add to the impact and gave us added estrangement which is central to any SF film (that feeling that something is not quite right, weird music is another for example).

3. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

--quote---
    Hell, if I changed the cast it would be to flip-flop Viggo and Sean Bean in their roles as I happen to think that Sean was acting circles around Viggo. Again, just an opinion.
    ---end quote---

GASP

... trying ...

.... trying so hard ...

Okay, can't do it. No *way* I can agree Viggo shouldn't be Aragorn. He was simply far too perfect in the role. Enthralling performance. He nailed it, a reluctant 'king', the wandering ranger, driven by the demons of his ancestors. He truly was the single most compelling thing about the entire production. So many of his lines are excellent, delivered with such apt emotion and compelling portrayal.

Sean was quite excellent as Samwise.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Director

Michael Reuben

5. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Matt Stone

7. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Funny, Hugo Weaving was one of the few actors that I thought did a good job. When he showed up, I was relieved to have a character with passion. The rest of the characters up until then just seemed...dead, or deadly dull maybe.

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Steve Gonzales

9. Brandt

Brandt Stunt Coordinator

The first film that came to my mind when I saw this thread was 'First Knight.' Richard Gere as Lancelot??? I can't stand to watch this film for that reason.

10. Jon D

Jon D Stunt Coordinator

Jay Roach really should've looked much harder at Heather Graham's previous roles before making the terrible decision of casting her in Austin Powers: TSWSM.

11. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I guess I dont mind or wasnt bothered that I noticed that he was Elf king/Agent Smith, but I cant say I didnt notice. I saw this theatrically with my brother, and everytime Weaving finished a line, we would look at each other and say Mr.... Anderson. Oh well, I guess we're goons.