1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Director's need to look at previous actor's/actresses movie roles...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    ...before hiring them on for a new role.
    Two perfect examples.
    Fellowship of the Rings. Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith, The Martix) plays the part of Elrond. The moive is so enveloping until he shows up in the sequence at Rivendell. The opening battle sequence is not too distracting, but once in Rivendell, his manorisms, style and delivery of his lines is just like those of Agent Smiths and immediately pulls me out of the movie. Although Hugo looks great in the roll, his carrying over of Agent Smith's character really detracted from this wonderful movie.
    We Were Soldiers. Two, Mel Gibson and Madeleine Stowe. First Mel, he is too Hollywood for this type of war movie and although he did a decent job, he was too distracting as Mel Gibson to fit the part. His roll kept me from really getting lost in this movie. Secondly, I don't know what Madeleine did to herself, but she looked horrid, so much so it was a complete distraction. She needs to let some air out of those lips. She looked too fake to be believable.
    I may be alone in this, but I feel a director needs to look at actors/actresses past rolls and during try-outs, they need to look at the fact that maybe the person they chose for a certain role may be a hindrance to their movie. I may be too picky, but as for LotR, I was so enveloped in this movie until Smith showed up. Talk about a wake up call, it sucked.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

2. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I completely agree about Hugo Weaving, I was just thinking that the other day. It's just that we haven't really seen him in anything else and watched The Matrix so many times, and he is a memorable, unique character so he got burned into our minds as that agent and we can't help but be reminded of that role every time we see or hear him.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

5. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

Hugo Weaving is a good supporting actor, and I was never once reminded of his performance in The Matrix. If anything, I always remember him as the lead in Prascilla, Queen of the Desert.

6. Michael Taylor

Michael Taylor Stunt Coordinator

I know this makes me look like I am straddling the fence, but I actually thought he *looked* like Elrond might look, even though I wholeheartedly agree with you about him *sounding* like Agent Smith. So, on one hand, I am happy to see him in the role, but on the other, I can't stop thinking about the Matrix when he speaks. I keep looking to see a struggling Keanu Reeves stashed in the bushes! [​IMG]

7. Terrell

Terrell Producer

The first time I ever really saw Hugo Weaving was in The Matrix. When he popped up, even at the beginning of FOTR, I immediately said, that's agent Smith from the Matrix. So that was the first thing I thought of. I tended to think of agent Smith everytime I saw him. His performance wasn't bad at all, it's just his voice, his face, and the way he spoke.

8. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I agree with you on Hugo Weaving as Elrond. If I remember correctly in Elbert's review of the film he stated Hugo was just too hostile for the part which I agree with. It didn't ruin the film for me though.

On the flip-side I had no problem with Mel Gibson in We Were Soldiers. I thought he pulled it off quite well.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

11. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    It seems this is more of a problem with you as an audience member than Weaving as an actor. As was said, he's just acting as he always has, you're projecting Agent Smith on him. If he gets typecast in that role we can expect a book from him entitled "I am Not Agent Smith." Give the man a chance, force yourself to look at what he does that DOESN't remind you of agent smith and see if that dispells the sterotype.

As for "We Were Soldiers" Mel Gibson is the reason it got made. He didn't have to 'try out.' The studio agreed to finance it when he agreed to be in it. It's the star system and it rules Hollywood.

12. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Well, Icon Entertainment was one of the production companies for We Were Soldiers, and although I can't find anything to confirm it, I thought Gibson was involved with them. That might have played a part, not to mention Gibson and Wallace's collaboration on Braveheart.

13. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Well, this is how I see it. His acting was the same as it was for Agent Smith, his delivery as well. Plus, his look is something that's difficult to forget. But as I said, I've only eveer seen Weaving in The Matrix and FOTR. If I saw him in anything else, I don't remember it.

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

15. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

16. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

17. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm

18. KlausWinkler

KlausWinkler Agent

While we are at FOTR, let's not forget C. Lee.

In all his scenes in SW Ep2, I thought of Saruman.
    "Join me, Gandalf eh Obi-Wan"

19. Michael Taylor

Michael Taylor Stunt Coordinator

I never had that problem confusing Saruman with Count Dooku. My problem was confusing him with Scaramanga, the Man with the Golden Gun![​IMG]

20. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Mark me as a disagree.
    Weaving did an excellent job in both films. Yes there were similarlities, but many great actors are unable to distinguish their vocal inflections and such from role to role (and yes, some great actors can, do and have).
    I really enjoyed Weaving in LOTR. His very deliberate speech patterns gave weight to his scenes, I felt. He seemed to me to be eminating the aura of an ancient leader whose eyes have seen much. In Matrix, he came across as alien and surreal, which I enjoyed there also.
    Sorry you're having problems getting past him. Audience reactions like this are what shun a LOT of actors off from 'genre' roles. My observation indicates audiences typecast/rolecast genre actors FAR FAR FAR more than actors who work only in 'normal' dramas and romances, etc... Look at Patrick Stewart, an accomplished stage and cinema actor of excellent talent, and once he said yes to TNG his other roles dropped right out the bottom.
    Since I love genre picks more than any other story type, anything that prevents the best possible telling of genre stories upsets me. [​IMG]