1. I love this movie and have to give props to everyone involved, but...

Was anyone else annoyed beyond description by the 'forced' commentary over the 30 minutes extended scenes???

Unbelievable, the directory gushes about the quality of the acting and the value of character development that occurs, while blathering endlessly and effectively defeating the purpose.

In effect, you might as well just Mute and gather what little you can from body language.

This kind of thing (the guy behind you who won't shut up) is unfortunately half-expected at the theater, but at home??

=======================

On a related issue, I'm somewhat fascinated by the legal controversy surrounding the stone mural in the background:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0118971/dvd

Unfortunately, I have the later (fixed) release where figures deemed to be too similar to an actual work of art were removed.

Some CGI figures appear in the stone mural towards the end, but presumably these are different from the original release.

I was wondering if any fans of the movie were able to locate the original release to compare the differences.

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I've noticed this on a couple more recent discs--Monty Python's Meaning of Life being the most recent example, where Terry Jones blathers all the way through the Martin Luther sketch and you can't make out a quarter of it. Come on guys, this is why multiple audio tracks are available on DVD! [​IMG]

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Isn't the Martin Luther Sketch available without commentary on the first disc?

Regards,

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Unless the director is also the one producing the DVD (which is rarely the case), it's not the director who committed the sin. Taylor Hackford sat in a room and shared his comments on the deleted scenes. How that commentary was handled on the disc is somebody else's fault.

It's worth noting that The Devil's Advocate was a very early special edition DVD (released in March 1998). They were still learning how to do them right.

M.

5. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Yeah...but Random Hearts is another title...and it wasn't THAT early on. Ridiculous.

It's not that it was something "early" where they hadn't figured out how to do something.

It was just stupid.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm not familiar with the DVD of Random Hearts (once in the theater was enough for me). But I agree that, by August 2000, which was the release date, DVD producers should have known better.

M.

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

10. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

Does anybody have pictures to compare the 2 versions of The Devil's Advocate? I remember seeing a sticker on the wrapping when I bought the DVD, so I must have the re-issue version.

Dean

11. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

The first edition of Devil's Advocate is OOP because of
    legal rights issues over the wall carving.
    An artist sued the studio claiming that the wall carving
    looked very close to his original artwork.
    The studio had to redo the scenes and change the look of
    the wall carving.
    The current DVD was the replacement.
    I don't think the original DVD had the supplements that
    the current DVD has.

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Ah, well that explains it. I can't get the Director's Cut to play at all. It just plays the ordinary cut, no matter what you do.[​IMG]