What's new

Director John Hughes has passed away (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Personally, as a 35 year old, the man's films were a big part of my formative years.

Rest in Peace.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is an incredible movie, full of humor and heart.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's weird learning that the writer and director of some of "my" movies has died, after years of classic era directors dying. Only a few months older than my parents, too, at 59.

Arguably the defining voice of 1980's cinema. RIP.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I was hoping he would one day add commentaries to The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, etc. There is probably no other director that I would be more interested in listening to as his movies are some of my favorites. At least we got Ferris Bueller before he passed. He will be missed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Very sad news as I really enjoyed his films and wished he directed more films in his career.

Crawdaddy

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I discovered John was gone while reading the Oak Park Illinois newspaper online. A town I have not lived in for 45 years now, but never got over being there.
Very appropriate, Mr. Hughes and & both went to fancy Chicago suburban high schools at about the same time.
The experience was formative, for both of us.
For whatever reason, more writing and producing than actual directing, but, some terrific films!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I grew up on a ton of the movies he was involved with- the Vacation movies, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, The Breakfast Club (a movie I still love to this day), Ferris Bueller's Day Off and all of his John Candy movies.

Thanks for the laughs, John!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
His movies had a distinctive feeling which distinguished them from all the other movies of the era. They were entertaining without necessarily going heavy on any given "message." They were the perfect movies to watch during a lazy Sunday afternoon, and yet still left us with an everlasting impression.

He will definitely be missed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
He directed AND wrote 4-5 movies, but his hand was in many, many films.

This really makes me sad.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Just the other day, we were wondering where John had gone and how much we enjoyed ALL of his films. He left the spotlight early but left an amazing record of near perfect films. I often wondered why he retreated and quit directing. Really enjoyed his films and his writing too:

"I'm Buck Melanoma. Moley Russell's wart. Not her wart. Not her wart! I'm... I'm the wart. She's my tumor. My... my growth. My... uh, my pimple. I'm Uncle Wart. Just old Buck "Wart" Russell. That's what they call me, or Melanoma Head. They'll call me that. "Melanoma Head's coming."

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
So sad. Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller, the Vacation movies, Home Alone... He was involved in so many of my earliest and most fondly remembered movie experiences. May he rest in peace.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
He'll be missed, but he left a great legacy with his films. They were a big part of my formative years as well and "The Breakfast Club" remains as one of my favorites. May he rest in peace.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Very sad news. While some of his work was not my cup of tea, many of the films that I consider "old friends" had his touch.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Very sad news. What a resume.....Vacation, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Home Alone, Weird Science, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Uncle Buck, etc. He truly ruled the 80's and will be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks