Director Fukasaku Dies of Cancer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Chmiel, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20030...ot001000c.html

2. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

This really sucks. A sad day for Japanese film lovers. He will be missed. [​IMG] I just hope he completed the majority of BATTLE ROYALE 2 (and that it's as good or better than the first movie).

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Kenta, his son, took over the sequel when Kenji was put into the hospital a few weeks ago and the film is still a go for the summer 2003 release date.

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

This is truly a sad day! [​IMG] BATTLE ROYALE is a favorite of mine, and he was obviously an extremely talented director. May he rest in peace, and I'm sure BATTLE ROYALE 2 will be wonderful.

5. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Terrible news. Having only seen a fraction of his films (and count me in as another big "Battle Royale" fan), I could still clearly see the man's talent. A great loss.

Jason

6. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Another Royale fan here--it didn't occur to me that he directed the magnificent Tora! Tora! Tora! as well until I looked him up in the IMDb.
    So far, the above-mentioned films are the only ones that are readily available to R1 audiences. Here's to hoping some company will start distributing his other works and treat them with the proper respect.

7. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

I would hardly call Battle Royale "readily available", though people who know where to look can find a Region 0 copy, fortunately.