What's new

Directors DIRECTOR FILMOGRAPHY - The Films of MICHAEL BAY (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Hey I remember this thread. So, what are you saying Ric, that our resident elitist snobs are so busy watching obscure foreign movies no ones heard off that they've long since forgotten about life's more erm physical pleasures? ;)

While being an Armageddon fan can turn you into a babe magnet? hmmm interesting... well there is something to your theory, the last time I watched Armageddon was not by my choice but by the gorgeous German girl I'm currently involved with, something to do with Ben Affleck being in it methinks, when Affleck started sobbing near the end she kept going "aaaah" and "ooooh" and I felt like slapping her one.:D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
More precisely you've never met one who disliked it as far as you know. I doubt if the topic has been broached with every pretty girl you know. For myself, I know a number of pretty girls who hate Armageddon, one who likes it, and most with an opinion that I am unaware of. But certainly there are pretty girls who hate the film.

Of course, I can think of many horrendous films that certain pretty girls like. And that might be a good reason to watch them, and to say nice things about them in front of those girls. But it sure as hell ain't a good reason to actually have a positive opinion about those films, and I don't think people have those negative opinions cause they spend time on the internet, I think they express them here, cause there aren't any pretty girls they know personally, to be offended.

Of course as much as I dislike Armageddon, I'd rather watch it than Titanic any day of the week. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales

:rolleyes

No, I hate Armageddon because it SUCKS. It is a terribly insulting and pandering movie. I kid you not when I say I had to force myself to sit through it - I can honestly say I can think of very few good things, if any, to say about it. And I'm generally pretty liberal with my ratings. :thumbsdown:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

What ratings? The only ratings I've seen of yours Steve are in your sig, after 3 months posting together on Jim's threads I still haven't got a clue what films you like or don't like, but going by your posts on this thread maybe I'm better off not knowing.;)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Bad Boys :star: :star: :star:
The Rock :star: :star: :star:
Armageddon :star: :star: 1/2
Pearl Harbor :star: :star: :star: 1/4
Bad Boys II :star: :star: 1/2
The Island :star: :star: 1/2

Ranking:

1) Pearl Harbor
2) The Rock
3) Bad Boys
4) Bad Boys II
5) Armageddon
6) The Island

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
In order of merit (if so it can be described:D):

1.Transformers (2007) ***
2.The Rock (1996) **1/2
3.The Island (2005) **1/2
4.Armageddon (1998) **
5.Pearl Harbor (2001) **

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
The Rock (1996)
Bad Boys (1995)
The Island (2005)
Armageddon (1998)

Seen the above, listed in order of preference.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
I happen to agree with those who posted here who enjoyed Armageddon. It ranks as one of my all time favourite films, not for any deep and meaningful dialogue but for the way a lot of stuff gets blown the hell up. isnt that what a summer popcorn flick should be about? Arnie-style dialogue and minimal character development + massive explosions and a complete disregard for the laws of physics?

Well, no matter what anybody thinks, I liked Armageddon, The Rock, and cannot wait to see The Island. Bad Boys II was by far the biggest crud pile I have ever laid eyes upon, followed exceedingly closely by Pearl Harbor. Except for the attack sequence, there was nothing in that film even resembling decent storytelling.

So, my ratings (not including The Island) are as follows:

1) The Rock ****
2) Armageddon ****
3) Bad Boys ***
4) Pearl Harbor **
5) Bad Boys II Nothing. Crud. Crap. Rubbish. Etc.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Bill, you can't just drop that bombshell and then leave, I need details man! I totally dismissed the film but Shelley wants to see it since she's a Ewan McGregor nut. We have passes to see a preview of that killer runaway jet thingie tomorrow night that we were going to use to get in the theater and then see something else. I was going to push for Hustle & Flow but apparently The Island is actually worth seeing?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Well, I had a really good time with it :b

The first 45 minutes are pure science-fiction and quite fascinating with a convincing premise and set-up.
I just wish that the film would have kept this up for it's entirety, but instead of dealing with thematic issues in an interesting way, it turns into an action/chase film...but as action films go, this was very entertaining!

The film looks great (nothing like Armageddon) and scenes actually last longer than 30 seconds :)
Thankfully missing are the nauseating editing, pumped-up machismo and the overbearing patriotism.
The acting was fine and convincing and Scarlet Johansson was very nice to look at.

Couldn't help but notice some 'borrowings' from other films, most noticably THX-1138 and an entire dialogue scene lifted almost word-for-word from Blade Runner.

As good, if not better than The Rock.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Ah, hmmmm, maybe then. Unfortunately Shelley's feeling sick tonight and didn't want to go so I'm not going either since the only movie that lined up with the time of the screening was Wedding Crashers and I didn't feel like driving 40m both ways to see it by myself. Plus I got 2 Netflix that I'd rather watch.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Updated:

The Island - B

Have to agree with Bill though I liked it even more until the last 30 minutes or so. I hope I never have to see another film in which a crowd of people walks in slow-motion under a bright, sunlit sky to New Age chanty music.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
The Rock (1996) - :star::star::star:1/2
The Island (2005) - :star::star::star:
Bad Boys (1995) - :star::star:
Armageddon (1998) - :star::star:
Pearl Harbor (2001) - :star:
Bad Boys II (2003) - BOMB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks