What's new

Directors DIRECTOR FILMOGRAPHY - The Films of DAVID FINCHER (1 Viewer)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
UPDATED:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011) (Own the Blu)

Seen 9
Own 7

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Out of 4 :star:s –
Alien3 (assembly cut) :star: :star: :star:
The Game :star: :star:
Se7en :star: :star: 1/2
Fight Club :star: :star: :star:
Panic Room :star: :star: :star:
Zodiac :star: :star: :star: :star:
Benjamin Button :star: :star: 1/2
Social Network :star: :star: :star: :star:
A fantastically intelligent and craftsmanlike director. Alien3 is still a bit truncated and odd, but the assembly cut shows what a mind-bender it could have been. Se7en I think over-rated. Atmospheric, yes, and with good performances, but once you are about a half hour in, if you can't figure out the ending, you have never watched a crime film before. The Game I didn't like on first viewing because it felt like the plot somehow shifted halfway through, discarding what it had set up, or rather, pretending that it hadn't happened that way, when, to the best of my memory, it had happened that way. Anyhow, it seemed to me to violate its own rules, several times before the end, and so I haven't revisited it; I probably should. Panic Room I really liked, and have watched multiple times. Partly this is because I love the idea of Jodie Foster as a kick-ass action hero (The Brave One I have also watched multiple times; fantastic performances and writing). But it's also because, as he says in the supplements, Fincher conceived it as a modern-day equivalent to a B-picture, because he had the idea that the older Bs were workmanlike films, done as well as they could be done, for what they were, and within the limits of the budget. I think it succeeds admirably as such; which is to say, I admire and enjoy films that are unpretentiously what they are, and nothing more. Benjamin Button is also interesting, but flawed. Nobody lives backwards, so there's very little for the audience to connect with, his experience being so different than ours. Thus, our interest is constantly pushed out towards the secondary characters, and they come and go. Zodiac and Social Network are the two masterworks here, both compelling studies of obsession. Dragon Tattoo I haven't yet seen, as I am still catching up on the longer Swedish versions before dipping a toe in the Fincher version. The Larsson books are poorly written and plotted, but (like Tolkein, who writes well, but who cannot easily handle a narrative structure), the three books tell a great story, and so make very good films – kind of like Day of the Jackal and Fourth Protocol, very poorly written books which made for exciting films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks