DirecTivo vs. Series 2

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave_Nich, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Dave_Nich

Dave_Nich Auditioning

I am not happy with the service from my local cable provider and am looking into getting DirecTv. I am also very interrested in Tivo. I like the Home Media advantages of the Series 2 unit (schedule away from home, network MP3s).

1) Are there any plans for a DirecTivo unit that will incorporate these features?

2) DirecTivo is $4.99/month. Series 2 is $299 lifetime. Should I be OK accepting $4.99 a month condsidering there is probably new technology down the road that I would like to purchase anyhow.

3) What do you recommend: waiting, DirecTivo, Series 2.

4) If you have experience with DirecTivo let me know what you think of the service. I have already heard rave reviews from Series 2.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. Since DirecTV controls what features are available, we won't know until they are ready to release the software. DirecTV has always been tight lipped about future plans.
    2. That's $4.99/month for ALL DirecTivos on your account. It's $299 for EACH stand alone Tivo. That way you can have multiple DirecTivos without any additional Tivo fees.
    3. DirecTivo. I use the dual tuner feature all the time. I don't know if I would use the Series 2 features (HMO, remote scheduling) at all.
    4. The receiver works great.

-Robert

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

The directivo's picture is much better in my opinion. My parents went from an old series 1 to a directivo and the difference is quite amazing. I believe it's because the satellite signal is sent in mpeg anyway, so there's no on the fly compression. It just records straight what you see on the television.

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

DirecTivo is certainly the way to go, unless DirecTV doesn't provide locals in your region.