DirecTIVO users!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kieran Coghlan, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

Is a constant phone connection necessary? I'm considering picking up a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTivo unit, and don't have a phone line nearby my equipment rack. I know that for standard DirecTV, it doesn't really need to be connected to the phone at all. What about a DirecTivo unit? How does it get the program guide, via phone like other Tivos, or via DirecTV's program guide? If it grabs it off the satellite, I imagine then that the constant phone connection is not necessary, right?

Thanks...

2. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Once it updates the software to >= 2.5, the info is downloaded off the satellite. You might need to hook it up for them to activate the receiver, but that depends on the customer service representative you talk to. Mine still calls every day but I have no idea if it transmits anything as I don't buy any PPV events.

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Constantly? No.

However, it does need to be connected so that the system can verify that you have a legit account. It will need to call into the mother ship at least once every 30 days. But if you didn't want it connected all the time, you can always manually hookup the phone line, and then force a call into the system.

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Mine places a call every 15 days. It's not always hooked up so I sometime forces it to make the call.

5. Chris Sharp

Chris Sharp Agent

Kieran,

6. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I saw a news report that said the privacy of your phone conversations are compromised if you have wireless jacks hooked up to your system. Even if you use corded not wireless phones.

7. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

8. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

I had not considered a wireless phone jack... thanks for the suggestion.