DirecTivo or UltimateTV???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveJo, Apr 14, 2002.

1. SteveJo

SteveJo Auditioning

Seeing as Cablevision has decided not to carry my beloved
    Yankees I've decided to make the change to DirectTv.
    So if I'm going to make the change I figure I may as well
    go all out. I would like to get a receiver with either
    Tivo or UltimateTv capability but unsure as to which service
    is better.
    So I was wondering what are the pros and cons of each service? Which would you recommend?
    Thanks for any info you can give.[​IMG]

2. Ian Montgomerie

Ian Montgomerie Stunt Coordinator

DirecTivo boxes can be (fairly) easily upgraded with extra hard drives, whereas UltimateTV boxes cannot. The UltimateTV service is also generally described as having slower menus. The only thing UltimateTV has that DirecTivo does not is WebTV type stuff, which you obviously don't need if you're already posting to this forum.

I think you can also get DirecTivo for cheaper. One of the retailers off the DirecTV web site, last time I checked, had a $100 dollar startup fee for dish, Tivo, and installation.

3. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Stunt Coordinator

You'll have a hard time finding many people who've used both that are willing to recommend Ultimate TV.

Hi Nick

4. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

Just got Tivo - Love it! Tivo is built on Linux which in the whole home convergence thing should pay dividends down the road - and there are some good upgrades you can do to it now such as adding extra hard drive capacity. Ive also heard ancedotally that Ultimate TV isnt long for the world.

5. Al Fischer

Al Fischer Stunt Coordinator

UltimateTV is "supposed" to be phased out and no longer supported by Microsoft.

TiVo is an excellent choice. We've had it for about 6 months now.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

7. SteveJo

SteveJo Auditioning

Thanks for the input. Looks like Tivo is the way to go.

8. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

SteveJo,
    Here is an alternative opinion. First let me correct some earlier posts:
    Here is an article that explains the reoganization. You can decide for yourself is UTV is no longer going to be supported by Microsoft.
    Especially since the new UTV upgrade the difference between the two is mostly subjective. Check out the UltimateTv Forum and the DirecTivo Forum you will see many satisfied users of both systems. Good luck.
    Jay

9. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I fully recommend DirecTivo, but I think you'll have a hard time finding them in stores. Even the internet retailers don't seem to carry them anymore. (I wanted to buy an additional receiver but am having a hard time.) However, what stock is left is being sold to new DirecTV ciustomers so you may be in luck.

10. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I've had Dish Network for years and the older DishPlayer recorder used Web-TV and a Microsoft engine. I switched to a regular Tivo because I like the plan I have with Dish (no longer available, but they let me keep it as long as I stay a customer). I must say I like the Tivo system much better! If Ultimate TV is anything like the DishPlayer my vote is for Tivo. I have no use for Web-TV since you have to subscribe to an overprice modem service, and I have a cable modem!

11. JasonDG

JasonDG Extra

Westly T,

I also have DishNetwork with a WebTV dishplayer. I have been having lots of problems with the dishplayer. It frequently turns itself off for no reason, has episodes where it cuts out about every 5 seconds and I have to unplug it to fix it, and some really annoying bug that sends me to personal TV when I use the channel up/down on the remote.

I have talked to DishNetwork and they told me the the unit has a history of glitches and they are trying to fix it. So far I see no evidence of this. I am getting very frustrated. Did you have this same unit? It's the JVC WebTV Dishplayer 500 I believe.

Also, I have noticed that the picture quality suffers from extreme compression. Sometimes there is a lot of the fuzziness you see in JPEGs due to the compression. Anyone else notice this?

12. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    JasonDG,

Dish has been telling their customers that the Dishplayer would be fixed soon since last summer. I sold mine in December and went with a DirecTivo. It was the best electronics purchase since getting DirecTV in '94.

You are correct about the over-compression. It's been that way since late Dec. when "must carry" law started. Both Dish and DirecTV added over 300 local channels. DirecTV moved all of their locals to a dedicated spot beam satellite while Dish just compressed more and put them on their regular sats. They should have their spot beam working soon though.

-Robert

13. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

I switched from Dish Network to Direct TV just to get the Tivo. I told the installer just to start charging me $10 a month because i wasnt sure whether or not i would like the service but after a couple hours i called Tivo myself and begged them to take $250 off my hands because I LOVE IT and realized that I could NEVER watch regular TV again (ok, so I like it)!!!!! Its one of those products where your eyes become wide like saucers and you just start mumbling to no one in particular - "this is sooo cool" - i don't know if ultimate TV provokes this kind of reaction but in general I have a negative reaction to Microsoft products and short of bundling ultimateTV with Windows I can't see how Ultimate TV is going to gain any market share against Tivo making it a viable service.

14. JasonDG

JasonDG Extra

Since reading this thread yesterday I started looking at Tivo, and the DirecTivo setup sounds great. This Dishplayer 500 with Personal TV let's me do a lot of the things that Tivo does, but I can't recoed and watch live at the same time.

Robert - How much did you get for your Dishplayer? Did you sell the whole system and go in fresh with DirecTivo? Were you able to get a package deal for cheap? I am seriously considering this right now.

15. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Sorry off topic:

Jason,

I recently switched from two Dishplayers (that I did really like but the glitches were becoming too much a problem) to two DirecTivo's. After I sold the two Dishplayers on ebay and paid for the two DirecTivos I was $100 ahead of the game.

Each unit has some great features and there are some that I miss from the Dishplayer, like favorites, I really miss that feature. Overall, I'm glad that I switched.

Tom

16. SteveJo

SteveJo Auditioning

Well I just purchased my first satellite system today. I decided to go with the DirecTivo. I got a 18x24 multidish, 1- Dsr6000 DirecTivo receiver, 1-dsx5353 receiver and 3 self install kits from AmericanSatellite.com for $229.99. After the DirecTv $50.00 rebate for new customers its only $179.99 for the set up. [​IMG]
    Hopefully in about a week I'll be able to watch my Yankee games again and tell Cabelvision where they can go!
    Thanks again for all your help.

17. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

The DishPlayer was the JVC 7100 and it had many bugs before I upgraded it. After I upgraded it with a larger hard disk there were even more glitches. When the drive got near full the hole system would go crazy, sometimes reset everything and loose program settings, etc. When I got the Tivo I removed the drive I installed in the DishPlayer and set it up in the TIVO. I still use the dish player but don't pay the $10. I put an old 2 gig drive in it since it can't record or pause if you don't subscribe. The only reason I kept it was the menu is much better then a regular dish network receiver menu. I pay the $10 on the Tivo because I'd like to upgrade to a direct Tivo some day and think it may be less then the 2+ years it'll take to pay the $250(perhaps when the merge happens of if they ever try to take away my old programming plan). Also If it fails in that time you loose as well.

18. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    JasonDG,

I sold everything as a package deal. One Dishplayer, one HD6000, one Dish500 with Twin LNB, one Dish300 and two SW21 switches for $400. I posted here in the Hardware For Sale section and had a reply in five minutes.

I went with the Hughes D-Tivo and eliptical dish from Orbit Communications. It was around $175. If I had shopped around, I could have found it for about $25 cheaper. At the time, I needed the bigger dish for Memphis locals but they moved to the spot beam two weeks later. At least I'm ready for HD when I buy a new TV this summer.

-Robert

19. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

And don't forget one of the MOST IMPORTANT advantages of the DirecTiVO is that they have TWO TUNERS. This means you can physically record two shows on the TiVO at the same time!!!
    Two caveats....
    1) If the DirecTiVO ships with software less than 2.5, it will not have the two tuners enabled. You should auto upgrade to 2.5 with your first call or two....
    2) I think you need a multiswitch to wire up both tuners......check the DirecTV portion of the following forum for more details on this:
    www.tivocommunity.com
    If I could afford the DirecTV fees, I would upgrade my standalone TiVO in a heartbeat!

20. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

SteveJo:
    It will amost certinly come with the 2.0 software, You can force a call to download the 2.5 earlyer that scheaduled BUT, the poor little processor can only do so much. The first thing it will do is to download the guide data and that may take 2 or more hours, at the same time it will be looking at the sat to find out if it is a good HU card. If on top of all of this you start a software download the processor gets nutty and says you have an invald access card. My suggestion is to get it hooked up and leave it tuned to channel 100 for 30 minutes or so then call DTV and activate the account, wait till the next day and force a daily call to get the software download. BE AWARE this download takes about 45 mins and if anyone uses the phone it will drop the download and you will have to start over. I suggest you do it as you retire for the evening. Also the menus will be slow untill it finishes the guide data download. You will also not be able to set any programes to record or wish lists till it has some thing to look up. TiVo DOES NOT RECORD THE TIME SLOT. TiVo records the programe name, without the programe name it doesnt know what to do. I have 3 DirecTiVos in my A/V cabinet, 1 Sony and 2 Philips. All have been upgraded. The Sony 116 hrs, 1 Philips 107 hrs the other 86 hrs.
    A good FAQ is here:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=41045
    The DirecTiVo forum :
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...e=30&forumid=7
    Welcome to the TiVolution [​IMG]