What's new

DirecTIVO Dolby Digital Question (1 Viewer)

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
I can't seem to get a Dolby Digital signal from my DirecTIVO. Although I've had the unit for 8 months, this is something I just noticed.

Before you ask, the only audio connection I'm using is the optical connection. I also have my audio options set to "yes" to enable a Dolby Digital connection whenever it's available.

My Directv ABC channels often display a Dolby Digital symbol, but I'm not receiving a Dolby Digital symbol (just a PCM). Is something wrong with my unit? Is it possible for a unit to output a PCM signal and not output a Dolby Digital signal? Should I call product support?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Your local station may not be relaying the DD5.1 signal in its broadcast.
Try to get the DD5.1 signal from HBO or Showtime or one of the other premium services before you're sure that your DirecTiVo is not working. My Hughes DTVo does this just fine.
And just to mention the obvious (which I've missed several times in my career :) ) Do you also have your receiver or pre/pro set up to recognize a DD5.1 signal?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DirecTV is not relaying any DD sound for locals. Just some (not all) HBO, Showtime, Starz and PPV channels.

-Robert

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Jim,

if you never buy any PPV movies, you can still check the Dolby Digital signal if you catch it at the very beginning. That way you have a few minutes to check your setup without having to pay to satisfy your curiosity. Just make sure the movie is listed as having DD 5.1 signal. But as others have said, the DD 5.1 channels are few and far between.

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
As always, it's best to check here first before jumping to any conclusions.

Thanks for all the help,
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks