What's new

DirecTivo-do you need the dual LNB? (1 Viewer)

DaveH

Auditioning
Afternoon everyone.

I've been considering getting a DirecTivo unit, and like the Sony model for the dd 5.1 output. Everything I've read on it says to maximize performance you need a dual LNB connection. Currently, I'm only using a single line and receiver, and don't want to upgrade just yet as I in the last month just re-wired my whole surround/cable/sat connections in the wall and don't want to unhook it to add one additional line.

I'm wondering if, by using only a single line, the DirecTivo would act like similar to a VCR hooked up to the unit, in that we would have to watch what we want to record.

And this gives me more incentive to upgrade the house (or just move!)

Thanks for your help.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I'm wondering if, by using only a single line, the DirecTivo would act like similar to a VCR hooked up to the unit, in that we would have to watch what we want to record
Not exactly. With Tivo you can always watch any previously stored program, or the beginning of the currently recording program, while the current program continues to record.

What you can't do with the single line is record/watch two shows airing simultaneously. You need the second line for that. Then you can record two shows while watching either, or even a third previously recorded show.

DaveH

Auditioning
Thanks Stephen. So I can still operate off a single line, but just lose some functionality.

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
I can explain it this way. Last night I was taping Friends on NBC @ 7:00pm while watching CSI on CBS @ 7:00pm. Without the functionality of the dual tuners I would have only been able to watch Friends since that is the program I picked to record. But, like the previous poster noted I could have did something else during the taping of Friends and then during the 8:00 hour when I was taping CSI on CBS. The Directivo would have allowed me to watch a previously recorded episode while taping another.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks