DirecTiVo and DVD recorder compatability

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Aaron B, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Aaron B

Aaron B Auditioning

Hey guys, I've got some questions for you regarding DirecTivo and DVD recorders. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a DVD+R/+RW recorder soon and I started doing some research on models. I began to read about people having difficulties in certain arenas and realized I had some issues I could not find the answers to. I appologize in advance if these are common knowledge or have been answered multiple times![​IMG]

#1. Can I use the "Save to VCR" option on my TiVo to record things to DVD?

#2. I've been reading that people are not allowed to copy movies and shows from Premium Channels, i.e. HBO and Showtime to a DVD recorder? Is there any truth to that?

#3. I mainly plan to use the DVD recorder to burn copies of shows that I can't readily get at the local Best Buy. I'd REALLY like to edit out commercials. If I use +RW how hard is that to do?

I thank you very much for any help you can give!

Aaron B.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. You can. You can also just play the program from the DVR. The difference in the two is that most remote control functions are disabled when you use "Save to VCR".
    2. Where did you read that? I haven't run across any problems with this. There are also hundreds of people do this at the Tivo Community and not a single person has reported a problem.
    3. That's completely dependent on the DVR recorder that you pick. I have a cheap one from Wal-Mart that has very limited editing. I record the program to DVD-RW and take it to the PC. Rip it to the hard drive and remove the commercials with my editing program. I'll then take a few edited shows and create a single DVD-R from them.

-Robert

3. Aaron B

Aaron B Auditioning

This is the kind of thing I've been running into in regards to recording on DVD from Premium channels:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-6463_7-...33&ctype=msgid

Read about half way down into the review. No this guy does mention that you might have to have a "PVR type Device" in order to record off of say HBO. I'm guessing that the DirecTiVo counts and what I'll have to do is TiVo what I want and then record when I play it back. Not a big deal to me at all, I just want the ability to do it if I want to.

Aaron B.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I've had DirecTV since the 90's and been a member of DBS Forums since '98. I've never experienced a macrovision protected program nor have I read about one from the many thousands of members of that forum. I'm not sure where this "reviewer" gets his information.

I'm using Nero Ultra. It's got the full suite of video recording and editing functions. It's not that hard to learn. In fact I haven't even gone to the help files yet.

As for the direct e-mail, you are missing the whole point of posting here. Someone tomorrow, next week or next year can search this forum and find your question and my answer. This is supposed to be a repository of home theater knowledge.

-Robert

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I'd recommend a dvd recorder with a built-in hard drive recorder. Panasonic, Pioneer, and a few other mfgs make these. You can download from the Tivo to the hard drive recorder in the dvd recorder, not directly to dvd. Then you can edit out the commercials or whatever from the hard drive recording and then copy it to dvd.

I have the cheapest Pioneer with hard drive. I record stuff off my HD-tivo to the hard driver on the recorder (have to use S-video from the Tivo to the recorder, which has no component ins, and set the tivo to 480i output). I then edit the hard drive recording and copy to dvd. The recorder is capable of optimizing bitspace so I can fit 2 episodes of, for example, HBO's Rome miniseries on one single sided dvd. Stuff that is originally HD comes out as an anamorphic widescreen dvd and pq is surprisingly good as long as I use the highest quality hard drive recording mode and don't try to squeeze more than 2 hours onto the dvd. I really love this machine and plan to have a dvd set of all my favorite new series, commercial free, for the price of blank media.

I've been able to record ppv, HBO, Showtime, whatever with no problems whatsoever.