Direction of RS Meter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_M, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Bob_M

Bob_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I have a question on using the test tones from AVIA with the RS sound meter. Where should I point the microphone when setting speaker balance? Straight up, pointing toward the front or pointing toward the rear or other? I asumme

you don't move it once you pick a direction as the pan moves around the room.

Thanks Bob

2. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

I think the best way would be to point it at a slight forward angle upwards(towards the ceiling) ?

3. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

From what I have heard, you want the meter to be positioned so that it would be centered in the "sweet spot" at ear's height. Then point the meter towards the front of the soundstage (like your ears would be) and angle it up at a 45 degree angle. Do not move it as the tones pan from each speaker. (That is, do not aim it at the speaker)

Right or wrong, I did mine this way, and it sounds fine.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I can't remember where I heard/saw this from, but I remember seeing that you're supposed to point it straight up. Obviously, placed where your head would be at your listening spot.

Maybe Guy of Avia could comment if he sees this...

5. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Most of my materials state the same thing. Hold the meter at the main listening position (I prefer using a tripod mount to keep me out of the way). Place it at about head hieght, and aim forward towards the junction of the front wall and ceiling at center.

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The object is to get the angle from each speaker to the center axis of the SPL meter's mic to roughly the same off-axis angle, since the mic does have some directionality issues.

The ceiling/front wall junction rule is a fairly good rule of thumb, but if your center speaker is mounted fairly high, it can throw you off. Basically, imagine a line coming out of the microphone... You want to point that line so that the line to each individual speaker is at about the same angle. In my room, I've found that tilting the meter down about 20-30 degrees from vertical brings each speaker within 10 degrees off-axis angle and gives me the best sounding calibration.

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Video Essentials and Dolby Labs recommends the following, . . .from their:5.1-Channel Production Guidelines PDF document