What's new

DIRECTED BY BILLY WILDER: Five Graves to Cairo & A Foreign Affair (TCM Exclusive DVD) (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=378231
Turner Classic Movies and Universal Studios Home Entertainment present the 2-disc DIRECTED BY BILLY WILDER: Five Graves to Cairo & A Foreign Affair.
The 1940s marked an important transition in Billy Wilder's career, one that saw him emerge as one of Hollywood's most talented writer/directors with a double Oscar win for 1946's The Lost Weekend (Best Director, Best Screenplay). Presented for the first time on DVD, restored and remastered, this double feature is reflective of Wilder’s astringent wit, piercing intelligence and attraction to controversial subject matter that yielded some of his finest work during this decade.
In the wartime espionage thriller, FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO (1943), a British corporal goes undercover to infiltrate Field Marshall Rommel’s command and expose his plans to the Allies. The delightfully cynical comedy, A FOREIGN AFFAIR (1948), follows a prim Congresswoman who gets caught up in the decadence and black market world of post-war Berlin to often comic effect.
Available for pre-order at $24.99 and shipping on October 15, 2012.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
About time but I'm perfectly happy with my Australian DVD of FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO and my British DVD of A FOREIGN AFFAIR but I'm happy for those without region free players to finally enjoy the wonderful FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
A long time coming!
Too bad they didn't include Arise, My Love (1940) and Hold Back the Dawn (1941), two early films Wilder wrote, directed by Mitchell Leisen.
Since what's done is done, how about releasing those two films in a Mitchell Leisen set??

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Since they have a release for October, I hope next year they will try for more horror/mystery.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Over the next few years, I hope TCM/Universal will consider releasing the following sets or individual titles:
Irene Dunne Collection: Back Street, High, Wide, and Handsome, Invitation to Happiness, When Tomorrow Comes, Unfinished Business, and It Grows on Trees
Olivia de Havilland Collection: Hold Back the Dawn, To Each His Own, and The Well-Groomed Bride
Cary Grant: The Early Years Part II: Sinners in the Sun, Madame Butterfly, The Woman Accused, Gambling Ship, Ladies Should Listen, and Enter Madame
Ginger Rogers Collection: Don't Bet on Love, Sitting Pretty, and Lady in the Dark
Deanna Durbin Collection III: One Hundred Men and a Girl, Spring Parade, Nice GIrl, Hers to Hold, His Butler's Sister, Christmas Holiday, I'll Be Yours, and Up in Central Park
Joan Fontaine Collection: Frenchman's Creek, The Affairs of Susan, Ivy, and Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
June Allyson Collection: The Shrike, Interlude, My Man Godfrey, and A Stranger in My Arms
Rosalind Russell Collection; Hired Wife, Rosie, and Take a Letter, Darling
Marlene Dietrich Collection II: Angel and Desire
Sandra Dee Collection: The Restless Years, The Wild and Innocent, Romanoff and Juliet, I'd Rather Be Rich, and A Man Could Get Killed
Love Letters
Midnight Lace
The Uninvited

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Those are some good suggestions, Justin. I'd be up for buying at least half of them. You know they have a place on the website where you can e-mail suggestions. Don't know if it does any good, but I sent them a line a while back suggesting a box set of some of the Alan Ladd Paramount titles of the 40's (which Universal now owns the rights to).

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Great list; I'd add:
Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Adventure Collection: The Sun Never Sets (1939), Green Hell (1940), Safari (1940), The Exile (1947), The Fighting O'Flynn (1949).
Tony Curtis Collection: Flesh and Fury (1952), The Square Jungle (1955), Mister Cory (1957), The Great Impostor (1961), The Outsider (1961)
Cecil B. DeMille Technicolor Epics: North West Mounted Police (1940), The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944) - (Ideally these would be released on Blu together with Reap the Wild Wind and Unconquered)
Directed by Fritz Lang: You and Me (1938), Ministry of Fear (1944)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
How about "The Alan Ladd Collection"? - This Gun For Hire, The Blue Dahlia, O.S.S., Shane, The Great Gatsby, and The Carpetbaggers

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
The Carpetbaggers belongs to Paramount. Also, you might see some of these Ladd titles by the year's end. Supposedly, TCM will release a Universal noir set as one of its last 2012 Vault releases.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard V said:
How about "The Alan Ladd Collection"? - This Gun For Hire, The Blue Dahlia, O.S.S., Shane, The Great Gatsby, and The Carpetbaggers
Paramount owns Shane too, and the Great Gatsby has long been said to have legal issues, but maybe Universal will do something about them for a tie in to the upcoming remake. This Gun for Hire was already released, but how about The Glass Key, Lucky Jordon, and Salty O'Roarke. At this point, both Paramount and Olive released as many Ladd films as Universal has despite Universal owning all the films he made when he was at his most popular.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
There is an upcoming December "noir" set (specifics currently unknown), so hopefully one or two of those unreleased Ladd films makes it in there.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
If it were up to me to handle Alan Ladd's catalog for Universal I would try to do it like this:
Alan Ladd Vol. 1: Action - China, O.S.S., Calcutta, Saigon, Two Years Before The Mast
Alan Ladd Vol. 2: Drama - And Now Tomorrow, Wild Harvest , Beyond Glory, The Great Gatsby, Salty O'Rourke
I'd put The Glass Key and The Blue Dahlia on Noir collections, and try to find space for Lucky Jordan somewhere.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Eddie Muller reports at another forum:
The Glass Key and The Blue Dahlia will probably be out before the end of 2012, produced by Universal, packaged and distributed by Turner Classic Movies.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Got a shipping notice on these Wilder titles from TCM yesterday, so it look's like they're shipping out a few days early. With any luck this should be in my hands by the weekend. Can't wait to finally have these terrific, LONG-overdue movies on disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks