Direct vs Dipole surrounds on back wall?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JasenJ, Dec 29, 2003.

1. JasenJ

JasenJ Agent

My listening room is 17'L x 12.5'W x 9.33'H with the seating position (couch) ~3' from the back wall. Those three feet are a walkway and there's a couple doors in that wall so no speakers can go near ear level. There is a backside of a chimney sticking into the room in the middle of one wall. I have Paradigm 5se MkIIs (bought 'em in '92) for my fronts.

So I'm looking to mount surrounds either above the doors (80") on the back wall, or maybe on the side walls even with the couch. The side wall placement bothers me a bit because of the chimney (concerned about reflections).

Anyone want to share advice on what type of speakers to get and where to place them? I stopped by a local dealer - who sells Paradigm - and he recommended MB Quart Balcony speakers on the back wall, or grudgingly the Paradigm ADP-70 or 170s.

I've read a bit of the dipole vs monopole debate and don't know that I have a clear leaning - maybe a bit toward the directionality of monopoles. But do my placement limitations rule them out?

I think that's enough rambling for now.

- Jasen.

2. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Dipoles should not be placed on the back wall- the ideal location is on the side wall, exactly to the left & right side of you (3 & 9 o clock) if you want speakers on the back wall, consider bipoles over monopoles- especially since the sofa is really close to the back wall.

If you're planning on a 7.1 system, try dipoles for sides, with monopoles or bipoles as rears - which you prefer (back wall)

3. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I have an unusual room. The back of my living room/home theater has a railing overlooking a foyer and staircase. My surround back right speaker is mounted high on the back wall of the foyer 7.5 feet from the center seat. My surround back left speaker is mounted at the same height, but the wall is closer, at the top of the stairs 5.5 feet from the center seat. Speaker distances and levels are properly calibrated.

I tested the surround back channel using the "Tex II" THX-EX demo from the Kenwood Sovereign DVD. Tex flies around the room, and in the surround back channel he can be heard sawing and hitting himself with a hammer ("ow!").

First I tried a pair of monopole speakers for the surround back channel. They provided the proper image for listeners in the center and right seats, but Tex sounded as if he was front and center to a listener in the left seat. See this post by Philip Brandes for an excellent description of the phenomenon:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...14#post1229414

Then I tried a pair of dipole speakers for the surround back channel. They provided the proper image for all seats. One or two bipole speakers may also work. Daniel Kumin of Sound & Vision magazine reported that he's had great success using a single bipole speaker for the surround back channel. Best advice: experiment to determine what works best in your room.

4. JasenJ

JasenJ Agent

I guess that is the rub. Do shops normally let a person load up on 3 or 4 different sets of speakers to take home, install in various configurations, and return the ones that don't work out?

The last time I bought a receiver (`92) I picked up an HK from Circuit City and hauled it to the dealer to A/B with another receiver and the speakers I planned to buy.

Considering I don't have the surround receiver yet, I'm looking at bringing two receivers home, setting up surround speakers, and A/B ing various configurations. (Oh yes, the wife will be happy.[​IMG])

- Jasen.