What's new

Direct-view widescreen best bets? (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Reece

Auditioning
I am scouting for a 32-40" direct-view HDTV widescreen monitor.
I hear the 40" Sony is nice @ $3,499. I am hoping to land a fairly impressive unit for under 3 grand.
Is this is a realistic possibility without waiting for months for price decreases? Any model/brand recommendations?
Thanx much...
ReecesPieces

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
first, the 40" sony is not a widescreen, so if you want widescreen cross this off your list.
as far as direct-view widescreen sets under $3K you might want to check out the RCA 38" unit. It contains a built in DirecTV HDTV tuner so all you have to add is the dish and or an antenna. The RCA is currently going for around $2500. only downside is that it's not a flat-screen.
Other than that Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, and Philips all have 34" direct view 16:9 sets around $3K.
You can actually find quite a few HD-RPTV's cheaper. If you can live with the inherent limitations of RP, this is where the deals are. Bigger screens and cheaper prices. lots of options around $2-$2.5K.
good luck.
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

Bob D

Grip
Jimmy,
Brad is correct - the 40" Sony is a 4:3 aspect ratio TV. They do however, make a 34" widescreen(KW-34XBR2HD)that lists for $3999 although I'm sure you can find it discounted in many places. The matching stand lists for $399. This set has an integrated HD tuner which will allow you to pull in over-the-air HDTV broadcasts as well if that is in your plans.
How close are you to Morgantown, WV? I know a dealer there that offers pretty substantial discounts on Sony products. If you're interested, e-mail me and I'll supply the name. Good luck.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jimmy,
Unless you must use the set in brightly lit room, you'll get a lot more bang for the buck in a widescreen rptv. For the $3k a typical 34" direct view set costs, you can get a 42" Tosh, 43" Hitachi, 47" Panasonic, 46" Mits, or possibly even a 50" Tosh and still have enough left over for the HD stb.
Unless your veiwing distance is going to be down around 5 or 6 feet, a 34" directview just isn't big enough.
I know RCA makes a 38" directview but there have been many reported problems with it, and I would not want to take a chance.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks