What's new

Direct View Vs. RPTV question? (1 Viewer)

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I appologize if I sound ignorante and/or am asking a stupid question but I've always wondered if "Direct View" HDTV's were better (picture quality) than "RPTV's"?

I ask because when I bought my 34" Direct View HDTV, I noticed that most (if not all) the 50" "RPTV's" were selling for the same price as the 34" Direct Views...

RPTV's seem cheaper in price, any reason?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The big reason is probably glass.

Your direct view CRT HDTV has a 34" picture tube. It's big, it's bulky, it's thick, and it probably weighs in excess of 135 pounds - just the tube.

A CRT-based RPTV has three 6" or 7" tubes, each weighing in excess of 10 pounds. (On the other hand, there are a lot of other components in an RPTV that bring up its weight, but not as fast as the direct-view would... the mirrors, the framing, the screen...)

But, in essence, if you want to make a bigger RPTV, you make a bigger box. Smaller, you make a smaller box. The basic 'heart' doesn't need to change.

Leo Kerr

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The ultimate decision between direct view CRT and RPTV is screen size. 36" is the largest commonly found direct view and 40" is the smallest commonly found RPTV. The few larger direct views are disproportionately expensive or heavy, and RPTV tends to be grainy in the smaller sizes.

IMHO direct view CRT holds convergence better, inexpensive RPTV CRT is difficult to get converged as well as direct view, and upscale RPTV CRT can achieve better convergence than direct view.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Unless you are buying the Sony XBRs with that super tube, the RPTV crt's are usually capable of more image detail than the conventional 34" tube.

The normal 34" tubes don't do more than 800-900 lines horizontally (left right) while most RP units do 1100-1200 lines easy. (But the RP unit has to be set up right to be able to see that extra resolution.)

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks