Direct view tv under $2000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Jr, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Kevin Jr

Kevin Jr Extra

Hello-

I am looking for a good direct view (HDTV capable) tv under $2000 but am having trouble focussing my search. (My wife canned the idea of getting a RPTV...ugh!!) I'd like to think I could get something in the 40" or bigger range but really don't know. Any recommendations as to model, price and place to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

FYI...We watch about 70% tv (DirecTV--which we will upgrade to HD soon) and 30% DVD. (I don't own a progressive scan DVD player yet but am hoping I will have one by late afternoon on Dec. 25)

Thanks for all the feedback as well as all of the other information in the HT Forum...it is so useful for a beginner!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome, Kevin.

The largest direct-view monitor available is Sony's KV-40XBR800, and it costs a bit more than $2,000 (and weighs 286 pounds without its mandatory matching stand).

Just run a simple search in this section of HTF and you'll find plenty of direct-view TVs in your price range discussed and debated. For example, see what you come across after typing the words "Sony WEGA."

You might want to consider models from Toshiba, Samsung, and JVC as well.

3. Kevin Jr

Kevin Jr Extra

Jack,

Thank you for the reply. I have done a search and already come up with a lot of useful information. The knowledge base of the members (and their commitment to sharing that knowledge)is very impressive.

I have actually been "gathering" points at my.sony.com in hopes that one of the Sony TV's would be the right buy and I could get it for a good price there. I had actually been trying to compare the 36XBR800 vs. 36HS500 (I can't actually tell a difference on paper though I am sure I am just not understanding all the specs correctly). Any thoughts on the two?

One quick follow-up, is the XBR800's stand acutally mandatory or is it just very common to get it as well.

Thanks again.

4. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

The stand for the 40XBR800 isn't really "mandatory", but most people use it for several reasons:
    1) I have never seen a retailer selling the 40XBR800 where the stand isn't thrown in for free ("A $500 value!" - according to all the ads. [​IMG]). On the 36", I think you actually have to buy it separately.
    2) You need a stand that can support 300lbs. Also, the XBR800 doesn't really have a flat bottom, but kind of has support points that slot into the matching stand, so I don't think the weight would be evenly spread over any other stand - it would have to be able to support the weight where it is concentrated in about 3 spots, I think.
    3) The matching stand is just that, color- and style-wise, a perfect match.
    On agoraquest.com and maybe avsforum.com I have seen posts by people using other stands by companies such as Sanus, Salamander, etc.
    The big downside to the matching Sony stand is that the 2 shelves are very small, depectively so, even, because of their triangular shape and because there is a 3/4" support beam underneath the top of each shelf that further reduces your clearance. Don't count on putting 2 components side-by-side on a shelf, or putting a tall component like a beefy receiver on the shelves.
    As far as the difference between the HS500 and the XBR800, I think the big differences are the Adjustable DRC (very useful for signals such as cable or DirectTV) and the warranty is (I believe) one year longer on the XBR. Maybe not a huge difference. I bought the 40", so since there is only an XBR of that one, I didn't have to make the price/feature tradeoff decision.