direct view or projection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LeRoyS, Mar 20, 2001.

1. LeRoyS

LeRoyS Auditioning

Does anyone have any input on the difference between a direct view HDTV or a projection. Of course it would have to be 16X9 to get true HDTV. This question came up in a conversation I was having and I really didn't have a reason as to why one is better over the other. Thanks for the help!
    ------------------
    LeRoy

2. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

Direct views are brighter and sharper and can compete with daylight better. RPTV's can have higher resolutions, because they do not use shadow masks. RPTV's require more hand-holding, since their separate CRT's require periodic converging. HD RPTV's are much improved from their analog predecessors and must be seen to believed.
    Many 4:3 sets do the 16:9 squeeze, so you don't need a 16:9 aspect set for HDTV necessarily.
    -Abdul

3. LeRoyS

LeRoyS Auditioning

I know that many of the 4:3 TVs do the 16X9 squeeze but as I understand it, in order to get true HDTV a 16X9 HDTV set is required. Plus I would not want to continually have the bars showing because of having a 4:3 television. I heard that the screens on a projection are more sensitive to touch than a direct view tv. Do you know why that is the case?
    ------------------
    LeRoy

4. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

True HDTV does not require a 16:9 set, and 16:9 sets benefit from mattes too. 2.35:1 movies, for example, will have letterbox bars on 16:9 sets, even when broadcast in HDTV (unless pan-n-scanned.) The HDTV image produced on my 4:3 set is precisely the same size and resolution as the HDTV image produced on the equivalent 16:9 set. I will say no more.
    The screen on a direct view set is the glass casing of the CRT. Usually, the screen on a RPTV is a plexiglass protective screen over a plastic lenticular screen over the base projection screen; the CRT's of an RPTV are buried in its belly, out of reach. If you take off the protective (glare-prone) screen of a RPTV, the lenticular screen is relatively easily damaged. The protective plexiglass screen is also more easily scratched than glass, of course. If you don't have kids, it's not a concern.
    -Abdul

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

If your real interest is HD and since hd is 16x9 by defination, you should go with the 16x9 set...The majority of primetime programs are being shot in wide screen format and cropped for 4.3....
    ------------------

6. LeRoyS

LeRoyS Auditioning

Thanks for the explanation on the screen on a projection TV. I don't have any children so I was not worried about it getting damaged. When I purchase my HDTV I am going to get a 16X9 HDTV. Thanks for all your input.
    ------------------
    LeRoy