What's new

Direct View HDTV - Please help!!! (1 Viewer)

Victor_W

Agent
Hi all,

I just spent the last hour to 2 hours reading the search results of this topic. I still need some help in choosing at TV. I am defintely looking at a direct view over RPTV, due to the fact that I play video games (PS2 and will get an XBOX soon so will want to take advantage of the digital video output XBOX has) and I like to have a nice view of the TV from different angles.

Some info on my Home Theater set up:
I have a 5.1 surround sound system, so speakers on the TV isn't a BIG deal. As of right now, I'm running analog cable with no real plans to upgrade yet. I will be getting a Progressive scan DVD player when i get this TV. I will have about an 8ft. viewing distance to the TV. Dunno if any more info is needed.. if so, just ask.

OK, now the questions:

1. What models of Toshiba's TVs are there? So far ALL I see from Toshiba's website are 36HF72, 36HF12 and 34HD82. I am sure there are more than these models that I should look into, right? Also, do these guys come with DVI input or not? I couldn't find anything through Toshiba's site. Also, what are some of the prices going for Toshibas TVs? Also with the news of the NEW toshiba's coming out... should I wait now until August?

2. How are the Panny's in this category? I know they get good reviews, but I have heard more suggestions for Sonys and Toshibas. Also, how is the price of panny's compared to Toshiba's and Sony's? Is it cheaper? or more expenisve? Which Panny 36 4:3 HDTV direct views and 34 16X9 HDTV direct view models should I consider and what prices should I expect?

3. I've been lookign at SOny's a LONG time now. 36HS510 and 34HS510(when available) have been the 2 I've been considreing. I can jump up to 36XBR800 for about 200 more or 34XBR800 for 600 more - worth it?

OK, I think that's about all for this for now. Sorry for the LONG post. and THANKS A LOT in advance for your time in answering these questions.

Vic

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I just got a Toshiba 32HFX72. New ones will be out in 1 - 3 months I reckon, based on the fact that the Sony 510 *just* came out.

I had a Panny analog set. Their problem with HDTV CRTs, is one of, a) no 480i to 480p, or, b) not "squeeze mode" for 16:9 DVDs. (Can't remember which, but that's why I went for Toshiba.)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You might consider this set also if the size is right. $775 is an unbelieveable deal for a true 720p-capable set. I also got mine to handle everything (HDTV, Xbox, PC/games, DVD) and I'm extremely happy so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks