Direct view delimma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_J_H_Jr, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Mark_J_H_Jr

Mark_J_H_Jr Stunt Coordinator

I am going to buy a 36 inch direct view TV to complement a future Projector.
    My dilemma is that I don’t have a clue as to what I really need.
    I will use this TV to watch sports, DVDs and some local programs. Will be using satellite dish. (Dish Network in Atlanta)
    I have auditioned TVs in the local stores. It is really hard to tell which TVs have the best pictures. The reviews seem to favor Sony. So if I go with a Sony, what features are important?
    With the current state of HDTV, I find I am not too worried about being HDTV capable. I am looking for the best bang for the buck. Would a KV36XBR450 be that much better than a KV36FS27 for about $800 difference?
    Is there something better to look at?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. Mark_J_H_Jr

Aww, come on, give me an opinion at least...

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

If this is going to be a secondary set, you might want to look at the 36" Hitachi (36UDX10s) HDTV ready monitor. It is not a perfectly flat screen, so it is considerably cheaper than the Sony. You can get one at CC for about $1400. I thought the color rendition on the Hitachi was better than the Sony, but the picture was just a tad softer.

Hope this helps.

4. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

I'll never hesitate to recommend the 36" JVC AV36230. I almost bought one before going rear-projection instead. Around $750 on sale. Component inputs, etc. Can't get much better bang for the buck than that one.

Heck, could also check out the RS400 Sharp at Best Buy. Goes on sale for $700 usually. Certainly a very good picture for a $700 36". I don't think it has component inputs, but eh.

If you want to spend more bucks than that, that's up to you. Depends what your definition of "bang-for-the-buck" is.

5. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I was looking seriously at the Hitachi UDX a few weeks ago, and it looked quite good. However, I finally had a chance to see one in person and that thing looks like a fishbowl. I'm not totally convinced that flat screen is the way to go, but the UDX is such a complete antithesis of flat screen...

6. WillPec

WillPec Extra

I just got the sony hs20 don't know about the xbr i avoided it because of the hdtv issue but the hs20 is a beautiful set

7. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

I have had a Sony XBR450 for 8 months and it looks amazing.

I highly recommend it. It kicks ass on both cable TV and DVD's...

8. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I am VERY satisfied with my 36XBR450. I have not yet hooked up an OTA HDTV receiver, but that itch is getting worse.

DVDs are amazing. Comcast digital cable picture quality ranges from good to great.

9. Mark_J_H_Jr

Thanks for the input.

As far as bang for the buck, I want a TV which will look great playing back DVDs and look decent with the sat.

I will check out the Hitachi and the JVC.

I am spending $4,000 on the sound system and want the video to be as good.