Direct view crt vs. Rptv crt

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Edward Ar, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Edward Ar

Edward Ar Extra

I'm about to replace my Sony 40xbr800 for a 57 inch rptv.The 40 inch has been calibrated by an isf tech and I love the picture with dvd and hd.Due to purity problems and my hunger for a larger screen I'm having it replaced with the Sony kdp-57ws550 that will also get calibrated by an isf tech.What can I expect in terms of picture quality with hd and dvd?Will the picture be as good as my direct view tv,will the rptv be dimmer and will the rptv look washed out?How will the rptv look with digital cable tv in a room with overhead lights(for my family)?I have great light control in my living and windows are not a problem for me when I want to watch dvds and hd.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It is unreasonable to think that an image with a fixed image resolution would not look worse when displayed on a much larger canvas. New picture information does not magically appear out of nowhere.

It won't be as good nor will it be worse either ...

It will be a different experience. Bad signals will look worse and good signals will look great. (Assumes set is fully calibrated rather than just a standard ISF deal) When set up correctly, it will output the recommended amount of light prescribed for RPTV's. This is less than CRT tube sets.

Remove the plexiglass and the image will be far more watchable in a room with a lot of ambient light.

Regards

3. Edward Ar

Edward Ar Extra

What is the difference between a full calibration and a standard calibration?Kevin Miller is doing my calibration.Thanks for the info. Any other opinions out there?

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A standard calibration generally does not include focusing and other physical tweaks. It is generally just about getting the grayscale right and setting the user controls and a bit of color decoder stuff.

Now imagine if your RPTV is out of focus ... what good is a proper grayscale on an image that is blurry?

You can normally tell what type of service you are in for by how much you are charged. If it is $275 range ... then it is the standard service.

Best to ask first ... Kevin is a very competent person ... but depending on what each person understands ... you might need to ask for the additional service (at additional cost)

Regards

5. Edward Ar

Edward Ar Extra

Greetings Micheal TLV. Thanks for the info on the isf calibration.Your first responce scared me as to how my rptv will look compared to my 40 inch direct view tv.After living with the set for a week I love it.You were'nt kidding about it being a different experience.Hd and dvds look great!To me they look just as good as my direct view tv but the larger screen gives it the edge.You were right about cable but it's not that bad.