direct view 16:9 shopping - help!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

ok first off, i need to say - i'm on a budget. I'd love to spend somewhere in the $1500-$2000 range. This probably means mail order/refurbished but that's fine.
    But i am DESPERATE for a 16:9 tube with progressive capabilities, and somewhere in the 34"-40-" area (can't be too big or heavy).
    The only set that comes close to meeting my criteria is the RCA 38" 16:9 - Best Buy has it for $2500, could try and wait for a sale, but i'd rather not buy from them (had a horrendous experience when i bought a Toshiba TW40X80 - one reason i'm staying away from projection). Even though it's not even a flat screen, it has by far the best looking picture i've seen so far with 16:9 direct view (i guess i'm only comparing it to the 34" panasonics and toshibas)
    are there any great deals out there i'm not aware of? any smaller or more obscure 16:9 sets? I might even go for a large 4:3 set that has progressive/16:9 squeeze capabilities, since i still play a lot of video games. For the right price i might prefer this option, but it would have to be big and probbaly not within my price range.
    so any recommendations/comments on the actual tv's and good reliable places to order from would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks - please help!!!

2. David West

David West Auditioning

Sean:
    I would suggest taking a serious look at the new Toshiba 34HF81 set. You may be able to find it for around US$2000. After considerable research, I just recently ordered one online for about that much in equivalent $CDN. Unfortunately there seems to be constrained supply here in Canada, so I won't take delivery until around the first week of November.
    Some of the reasons to consider this set:
    - very good internal line doubler (IDSC II) with new inverse 3:2 pulldown mode
    - very good horizontal resolution (1000 lines)
    - the best stretch modes in the industry for 4:3 material
    - SVM *likely* to be eliminated or reduced via Movie mode setting (I'll have to confirm this when I get my set)
    - two HD component inputs
    - backlight remote
    - lots of unique convenience features (two-level mute, front panel lockout, etc.)
    - weighs a lot less than other similarly sized sets (163 lbs. vs around 200 lbs. for others)
    - not as wide as comparable models at 33.7" wide (i.e., will more readily fit in smaller TV cabinets)
    If you are considering 4:3 sets also, check out the 36HFX71 which lists for less than the 34HF81. It would give you the equivalent to a 33" 16:9 picture and gives you the option of two 16:9 HD scanning modes -- true 1080i or 810i.
    http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/34HF81.html http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/36HF71.html
    David

3. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

both of those look pretty sweet.
    I have a question about these 4:3 HD sets that show 16:9 material via progressive inputs. I have a Wega that does the 16:9 squeeze and 2.35:1 material looks awkward because the black bars from the player aren't as black as the tv's provided squeeze area, and it's distracting. is that a non-issue with these sets (when using progressive inputs) or it is "squeezed" in the same manner?
    if it came down to decidng between those two i'd probable go with the 4:3 toshiba HD because of price and the amount of dish/video games i play. will the line-doubled image in the 4:3 set be acceptable? i found the line doubler in toshibas TW40X81 to be pretty bad.

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

5. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Sean,
    The RCA is a nice set, and I am considering it also (it is the best choice for my situation). It can be had for slightly less than 2K on the web. go to the shopping section of Yahoo and you will get a list of vendors and price ranges. You can then order online or try a Sears price match.
    Hope this helps, and let us know what you decide.

6. David West

David West Auditioning

Sean,
    I think the addition of the Cinema Mode (3-2 pulldown) has benefitted the line-doubling capabilities of the Toshibas significantly, but only your eyes can be the judge. IMO it is better than Sony's DRC with CineMotion or the Tau's line doubler.
    On page 30 of the 36HFX71 manual it explains the difference between the 1080i ("Compression") and 810i ("Letterbox") scanning choices. I'm guessing that showing 2.35:1 material in the 1080i mode would result in slightly brighter black bars above the image than at the uppermost and lowermost portions of the screen due to the letterbox lines from the source material being scanned only in those areas. The 810i mode might not show as much of a difference in blacks as it actually scans the top and bottom areas with black lines.
    The 36HFX71 manual can be downloaded from here: http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...32_36HFX71.pdf
    David