What's new

Direct view 16:9 sets with defeatable line doubler? (1 Viewer)

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if anyone knows of any direct view, widescreen sets (preferably 34") that have defeatable line doublers.

I dislike the overly "digital" appearance of upconverted 480i material on most sets and would simply prefer to view it interlaced.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
There was a Sampo set a couple of years ago that lacked line doubler alltogether. So you'd get your HDTV or 480p when using a set-top box or prog. scan. DVD player and plain vanilla NTSC for 480i.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I dislike the overly "digital" appearance of upconverted 480i material on most sets and would simply prefer to view it interlaced.
I absolutely agree with this. Although I'd think it more important on a 4:3 set, since most 16:9 material would be available in progressive (?). What country are you in?

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Toronto, Canada. Currently, there's not a great deal of HD programming available. The vast majority is still 4:3 480i.

I vaguely seem to remember hearing something about the Panasonic sets - that the line doubler could be switched off by hitting a "game" preset. I did a search but couldn't find any info on this. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks