What's new

Direct TV Vs Viacom (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Has the F.U.B.A.R. regarding the rift between Viacom and Direct TV, or any of the others (DISH Vs AMC & TWC Vs Hearst) over Fee Increases affected anyone here? As most of you know, I no longer subscribe to a Pay-TV Service, having decided some time ago it simply isn't worth it anymore. Anyways, feel free to voice you opinion on what these little "wars" mean to you. :confused:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be interesting. The satellite companies are holding the line where the cable companies have always blinked. Viacom's ratings have took a real hit in the first week of the DirecTV blackout. I'm not sure what the fallout's been like for Dish with AMC.
The showrunner for MTV's "Teen Wolf" gave away 500 free downloads of Monday's episode on twitter to followers who tweeted him a scan or photo of their DirecTV bill (with all of the personal info blacked out) and an email address.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
I am and have been in the past effected by this type of blackout by the wars between channel owners and DirecTV. Dish Network is not better and even local cable companies at times have been in disputes, though not quite as often.
One of the main reasons I have satellite is there is no other choice in my area, I can get no cable at all. Also, I do like the DirecTV Sports packages that are worth it to me for real high-def quality in my home theater. What I don't like is subscribers pay a lot of money (mine is about $120, plus MLB) and get no compensation, free sports, credit off the bill for a few months, etc. for this crap. What it comes down to is two VERY high profile companies with lots of money in a battle to get even more out of their agreement. The only ones that get hurt are the subscribers, both sides are making a killing no matter who "wins".

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I believe with DISH our fees are locked and will not change until sometime next spring or later. AMC only affects me with "The Walking Dead" which I read won't start again until October. Hopefully this war will end before then.
If this were some of the more major channels like TNT, USA, TLC or others I'd be pretty pissed off. If AMC somehow "wins" this and we're forced to pay for a bunch of crappy channels as part of the deal (not word for word but my version of what a DISH rep told me), I'll cut back to just the basics or drop DISH completely. Both DISH and AMC will lose and as mentioned in another thread "my viewing habits will change".
Seems to me the providers like AMC are taking a huge gamble that they will probably lose. Good programming seems to always find a home, so any shows from AMC and others will probably find homes elsewhere and do just as well.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
One big argument deals with all the Obscure Channels that most people seldom watch, yet are forced to pay for under the "Bundling" System that Pay-TV Providers use. Subscribers are FORCED to "Subsidize" these channels with bloated Subscription Fees, and we also get short-ended with the massive amounts of advertisements that are thrust upon us. During the last 15 years, subscribers have only seen their rates do nothing but CLIMB, while the quality of what's being shown has done nothing but HEAD SOUTH. The whole Industry is in a dilemma. A Housed divided against itself CANNOT STAND, yet this is exactly what the TV Industry is doing to themselves. People are starting to leave, deciding the value is no longer there (Everyone I talk to hasn't said anything good about Pay-TV and many are considering dropping their subscriptions when their contract ends). Switching from Satellite to cable would only cost MORE, and in this economy people are not going to want to do that. Many are now resorting to getting their Entertainment and Informational needs from other sources, such as Over-The-Air (I could get over 30 channels in my area if I wanted to) or from online sources or Home Video (I have found the latter to be CHEAPER than cable!:D). Bear in mind Television is NOT a Necessity, doing without is will not prove to be fatal. When times are tough people are forced to make sacrifices to make ends meet, and more and more people are doing that as well. IMO the entire Industry is at a turning point, and if they continue to plod along on their current path, they will only end up in oblivion.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I'm finding the only noticeable impact to me is no Daily Show or Colbert Report. Those are back to being available on the web if I care to watch them.
My kids are too old for Nick, MTV has sucked for decades - what am I missing?

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'm mostly outraged at Viacom because I get PUMMELLED on the radio with ads to "write or call and protest to DirecTV!!!". And, I mean pummelled - 1-2 spots PER commercial break!
How about this, Viacom: you pocket the money you're dumping on all the ads and then you don't need to raise your prices for those "invaluable" channels like NICK or Comedy Central. Do I occasionally enjoy your channels? Sure...but, they aren't worth paying more for.
'

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For me the Viacom squabble doesn't matter. I have(and yes I pay dearly) the ENTIRE Directv package, so I tend to watch more Showtime/HBO/Cinemax than anything else...
I wish, almost, there was a package that contained "just" the OTA plus movie channels. I live far enough out of Chicago that I'd need some $200 antenna perched about 80-90 feet in the air.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
So Viacom was/is using cartoon characters like Dora the Explorer to try to scare kids into getting their parents to complain? Wow. That's pretty damn douchey of them.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm hearing reports that Viacom has SATURATED the Airwaves with Commercials asking Viewers to call Direct TV and complain about their refusal to go along with Viacom's demand fro higher fees. Thankfully I no longer watch any Appointment TV so I haven't had to put up with them (or the other commercials that are polluting the airwaves as we speak). :f

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
It's kind of hard to rally behind any company that is demanding that someone else buy their product and a whole bunch of other products the buyer doesn't want (nor do the buyer's customers) and for a higher total price.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Man, I would so love to dump pay TV, but until I can get Sunday Ticket as a standalone package I don't see myself doing it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Another Blackout has hit Central Florida. Our Local NBC Affiliate (WESH TV) has pulled their programming off of Bright House Cable, demanding (what else?) higher fees. This is beyond insanity. These fees are only going to be passed on in higher subscription fees to subscribers. The Economy is still on shaky ground, and people are only going to pull out. I have a feeling the whole system is about to COLLAPSE, and I mean SOON!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've dealt with several "local" blackouts with DISH. So far when they reach the deadline we lose the local channel for a few hours and they back down and restore service. The national stuff sounds a little more serious, but I'm with DISH, DirectTV and the companies that provide the service to my home. As long as it's a fair price I'm fine. If it's something like AMC playing hardball and wanting to bundle ten crap channels with one good one, tough luck, I'll miss your programming but bye-bye.
I'm with Regulus about us being forced to subsidize the crappy channels we don't want. I mentioned in another post that I've set my favorites list on DISH to about 20 channels, completely ignoring the 200+ or more crap channels they're forced to carry, at least half of which seem to be shopping channels. Don't care what they're selling, I will never buy from TV fast talker.
I've got about 1500 DVDs so if satellite/cable/whatever gets to expensive, I'll just cut them off completely. As many companies are finally beginning to learn, don't underestimate the power of the consumer. Piss us off and you will lose.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Regulus said:
Another Blackout has hit Central Florida. Our Local NBC Affiliate (WESH TV) has pulled their programming off of Bright House Cable, demanding (what else?) higher fees. This is beyond insanity. These fees are only going to be passed on in higher subscription fees to subscribers. The Economy is still on shaky ground, and people are only going to pull out. I have a feeling the whole system is about to COLLAPSE, and I mean SOON!
While I quite agree about the state of the economy as a whole, there are other reasons why a full "collapse" for satellite TV won't happen. Mainly, it's because people like me have no other option, plus the expense of putting up a large outdoor tower antenna just for locals. I live in an area that has no cable service at all and am far enough outside any large city to get OTA without a very large mast for an antenna. Keep in mind, this is how satellite started out, no one except those not serviced by cable were all customers of satellite. But due to programming packages such as those DirecTV has, lagging quality of cable networks having a lot of trouble or falling behind current trends, others where cable does reach have become satellite customers. Therefore, even if satellite lost 50% or more of their subscribers that had cable options, it really wouldn't matter that much. They have a certain percentage of built-in customers they know can't be serviced elsewhere and will have to have satellite from either DirecTV or Dish if they want any channels at all.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Regulus /t/322361/direct-tv-vs-viacom#post_3950760
I don't get it. I understand "premium" channels (ie Viacom), but a local broadcast channel that is given free spectrum by taxpayers should make their signal available to everyone in their local market regardless if they are using an antenna or not. It might not be a bad idea to call your affiliate and tell them that you used to watch their 5PM and 11PM newscasts but now that they aren't available you are checking out the local ABC or CBS affiliate and watching the two shows that mattered on to you online.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
I don't get it.  I understand "premium" channels (ie Viacom), but a local broadcast channel that is given free spectrum by taxpayers should make their signal available to everyone in their local market regardless if they are using an antenna or not.  It might not be a bad idea to call your affiliate and tell them that you used to watch their 5PM and 11PM newscasts but now that they aren't available you are checking out the local ABC or CBS affiliate and watching the two shows that mattered on to you online. 
I'm not sure of how this works, but when DISH came up with this problem with one of our local channels they provided links on their web page and numbers to call to make the exact complaint you're talking about.
It's all money. Our local channels are owned by some big corporation that figured they'd make some more money by not renewing their contracts and allowing DISH to carry their shows. As you mentioned, the local channel is still obligated to broadcast over the air, it's when you use another service like satellite or cable that causes problems. Whatever happened, the deadline was reached, we lost the channel for a few hours, then somebody finally caved and DISH was allowed to carry the channel again.
The more the corporations pull this crap, the less I'm going to put up with it. If I miss a few favorite shows, that's life. But life can go on without television, so I'll find other things to do while the corporations hopefully fail. Ultimately it's the consumer who decides. No customers, no revenue.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Stan said:
If I miss a few favorite shows, that's life. But life can go on without television, so I'll find other things to do while the corporations hopefully fail. Ultimately it's the consumer who decides. No customers, no revenue.
You Said It! When I cut the cord I missed watching my Sporting Events, but I got over it. I know the Networks don't miss me, after all they make over 1 Million Times the money I used to pay for my Subscription ($65.00 a Month in 2006) selling ad time for various "Adult Products" (Such as "ED Pills" (Which are aired at times when Children are watching, and even during Kids Shows themselves). :f If I really HAVE to see a Sporting Event (Such as this years Sugar Bowl, which featured one of my favorite teams, the one that won BTW. :D) I just walk down the Street to a Sports Pub, buy a Glass of Beer for $6.00 and watch away. Sure beats paying $129.00 each month (The amount it would cost me to restore what I used to watch) for the "Privilege" of watching it at home! :laugh:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
I don't get it.  I understand "premium" channels (ie Viacom), but a local broadcast channel that is given free spectrum by taxpayers should make their signal available to everyone in their local market regardless if they are using an antenna or not.  It might not be a bad idea to call your affiliate and tell them that you used to watch their 5PM and 11PM newscasts but now that they aren't available you are checking out the local ABC or CBS affiliate and watching the two shows that mattered on to you online.
The "must-carry" provision does undermine the carriers' bargaining position with the local affiliates, but the reason the affiliates have started charging rebroadcast fees is simple: the revenue the affiliates make from advertising is no longer sufficient to keep them in business on its own. When the economy collapsed at the end of the Bush years, the advertising market -- particularly the local TV ad market -- collapsed with it. The broadcast stations need the rebroadcast fees to survive. I want a robust local news operation, and I consider the chunk of my cable bill that goes to that rebroadcast fee well spent.
Since switching to Verizon we've only had one local station outage as a result of a contract dispute, which took out our local Fox affiliate for a couple days. I shrugged, got the old rabbits ears out from the basement, and noticed nary an issue for the length of the dispute. In the days leading up to the blackout, the Fox affiliate had a scroller on the bottom of the screen informing viewers how to get the station over the air with an antenna.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
And that's the thing, you CAN get local Channels for FREE. The Pay TV Providers know they are in trouble, as they have been LOSING Subscribers the last couple of years. The Higher Fees these Stations and Media Companies are wanting will only be passed on to subscribers in the form of higher subscription fees, which will only result in more subscribers cancelling their subscriptions. Any gains created by these higher fees will quickly be negated by the declining number of subscribers. Higher fees mean nothing when you are losing customers, who are becoming tired of paying high fees for low-quality programming. It's a vicious circle!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks