Direct TV -vrs- Dish ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrentG, Jan 27, 2004.

1. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone made the switch from Direct to Dish? I have Direct TV now but want to drop them and go to dish, but I hate to loose any quality.

2. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I'm thinking of making the switch as well (cause I'm stuck with Pegasus). It seems many people feel that the SD channels are more compressed on Dish, but that Dish's HD channels look better.

My neighbor has Dish and I don't really see much difference in the SD channels vs my Directv.

Neal

3. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

Pegasux - Same reason I am switching

It is the SD that I am worried about, also going to get HD. I have a 57" HDTV to any loose of quality on SD channels will really show up. I do notice alot of differences in the Direct TV channels though, like the travel channel quality it really bad compared to the rest.

I hope to make a choice in the next couple of days here.

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I switched but haven't gotten the install as yet. I will be using a Sony HS 20 FP. The SD I have seen on rearP TV's has been pretty good with DISH. My friend has DISH on a Sony 61HS30 TV.

5. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

If I switch, it will be after Feb. 1 when the new packages and no commitment plans start. Dish will also be including local channels in their America's choice packages, so that saves $5 right there.

I will probably get the 811 HD receiver and the 522 PVR will serve my other 2 rooms (it has dual tuners with dual PVR capabilities built in). The equipment will be leased, but no upfront fee and no lease fee.

Neal

6. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

Do you think the new deals will be better?

That is why I was thinking I should switch before, but maybe not. Has their been anything released on it yet.

7. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I think the only thing they are taking away is the $49 kick back for months 2,3,4 when you have HBO and Cinemax with the America's choice packages.

Personally, I like the move to no committment. And if they will provide me with the 811 HD receiver and the 522 PVR for no upfront fee, then I almost don't have any choice.

I figured out, based on their new pricing, if I keep the same programming I have with Pegasux, my monthly bill will be about $15/month cheaper with Dish. Dish throwing in locals will save $5, if I plug in the phone line to the 522 PVR I don't have to pay the $5 additional receiver fee, I don't have to pay the $1.50 royalty fee and the programming package is about $3 cheaper.

There are some press releases on the Dish website I believe.

Ok, here you go:

Press release

Neal

8. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

I am interested in the DVR-921. I don't care about more then one room, but the picture in picture would be nice and recording HD.

I may have to call them and pick their brain, see what kind of info they can give me.

9. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

I have been communications with someone "in the know" that I met at CES.

The DVR-921 won't be available in the lease plan (called the Digital Home Advantage Plan). It will be a $900 upgrade (in the "Free Dish Plan"). I am interested in it as well, but I just can't swing that much money at the present time.

Neal

10. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

Nope it in no way worth $900, I will keep using the VCR I guess, LOL

11. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

If I had the money, I could justify the cost, I think...lol.

I think for now, I'll go with the 821 and 522 combo.

12. BrentG

BrentG Stunt Coordinator

OK so maybe I will just forget about TV all together then, none of them are worth a darn....

Just got off the phone with Dish Net, they have no HD equipment and won't for another 4-6 weeks!! And to think I was ready to give them my money tonight, I give up, LOL

13. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Well that is very interesting...lol

You might have a look at some of the online companies that sell Dish stuff. They may have some when Dish does not.

Neal