Direct TV signal is not very good ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Samson, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Samson

Samson Stunt Coordinator

My DirectTV signal is not very good. Images are sometimes blurry and not very sharp or detailed. I have a Sony 35S42 TV and it's incredible when I'm watching DVD's. So it doesn't seem like that the problem is the TV. Could you tell me what the problem could be ? Or is the DirectTV signal really this bad ?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It should be better than cable TV. I'd suspect that you have a bad cable somewhere. This sounds like a new system. If it was professionaly installed I'd call them back, and if you did it you might want to start swapping cables. The ones outside all need a rubber jacket over the connectors, or water WILL find its way inside of the cable. I hope this helps.
    Glenn

3. Eric Paavola

Eric Paavola Auditioning

My DTV signal is very good. I have a Toshiba 57H81 and the picture is marvelous. My cable is quite good also. I was surprised because some folks say cable is not very good to watch on some large RPTV. As Glenn said it is possibly a problem in your equipment.
    Eric

4. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Or the source material. Also, some channels seem to be more highly compressed than others.

5. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Any DirecTV picture problems can usually be attributed to the levels of compression they use. The best picture quality to the worst can be found on these kind of channels,... PPV, Movie channels (HBO, Starz, etc..), sports channels, all the way down to the locals.
    Jeff

6. MikeRa

MikeRa Auditioning

Samson,
    Try this quick test. As others have noted that Direct is overcompressing stations, tune to channel 100. This seems to be their Promotion station, The one that is played in electronic stores to make folks like you and I say WOW satellite is awesome. On my system channel 100 plays pretty well, especially when compared to TNT. Why am I watching movies on TNT? Good Question.
    My 2 cents, Good luck.